For PEOPLE I wanted to list some Utah authors who write YA contemporary, my most favorite genre.
- Sara Zarr - I think I mention her every year. I even interviewed her awhile back. Basically she's the queen of Utah contemporary YA. I will read everything she writes. Sweethearts is my favorite.
- Natalie Whipple - Probably best known for her super hero series Transparent (which I really liked!) she also wrote Fish Out of Water.
- Shannen Crane Camp - I met her at a book month social and have been meaning to read one of her books ever since. I think she only writes contemporary, like The Breakup Artist
- Cassie Mae - I met her at the Storymakers conference last year (was it last year?) I felt like a dork because I thought she was just a regular participant. Not the author of a bunch of books, like How to Date a Nerd.
- Ally Condie - of Matched fame has a MG contemporary out recently, but let's still count it because I want to read Summerlost. I actually got to meet her once, also, at a Costco where she was signing books but there was no one there at the time and I was carrying a plate of pizza. It was as awkward as it sounds. She was super nice though.
For PLACE, for me it's got to be twitter. That's where so many of the bookish people hang out, and you don't even have to live here to be in on the fun/silliness.