Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Read This: The Raven King *no spoilers*

I know, it's been forever. But I had to review the final book in one of my most favorite series!

The Raven Kingby Maggie Stiefvater

The Goodreads Summary Says:
For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find a lost king. One by one, he’s drawn others into this quest: Ronan, who steals from dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a lie; and Blue, who loves Gansey…and is certain she is destined to kill him.

Now the endgame has begun. Dreams and nightmares are converging. Love and loss are inseparable. And the quest refuses to be pinned to a path.

I Say:

4 stars
On the whole I liked this one a lot.

The plot is more complicated and the twists somehow manage to be completely unexpected. Maggie Stiefvater is the queen of words. Her writing had me laughing in parts, crying in others, swooning when I hadn't expected to. This has never been the kind of series to line up all my questions in a row and answer them neatly, and The Raven King is no exception. The biggest questions get answered. (will they find Glendower? Will Gansey die?) But there are some things that simply don't get explained, not that I think that was a bad thing. The heart of the series - Blue, the boys, their friendships - is still there and just as enjoyable as earlier books.

If I had to criticize anything in The Raven King, it's that some things weren't as developed as previous books. Some plot points and details got lost in how big this last book is. There's a lot of ground to cover with Blue and her boys, the secondary characters, and then some characters who are introduced in TRK. I could have done without the new characters if it had meant more time hashing things out with Blue and her boys. I could have done with a bit more in the romance department too. But ymmv. It wasn't the strongest book in the series (for me) but I still really enjoyed The Raven King. I think the series is one of the best in YA.

4 comments:

  1. I hope to get to it soon! Scared though. Pretty scared about it. And... YOU BLOGGED! :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to reread the first book and then tackle this whole series at once. I hope I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it even though it had some issues. It's always sad when the last book in a series is disappointing, so I'm glad it wasn't for you. I really need to read this series. I own two of the books, so I should, lol. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was excited to see a post from you!! I'm finally reading the rest of this series! I hope I enjoy it as much as you. It is nice to hear the last book is a winner.

    ReplyDelete