Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Jumping on the Kdrama Bandwagon

A couple weeks ago I got together with Suey and Jenni to watch my first K-drama. Suey's become an expert on all things Korean, so she started us on the show She Was Pretty.

Verdict? It was really cute! It's a fun show about friendships, first loves, and some misunderstandings. By the end I liked all the characters so much I just wanted them all to be happy. You should love them, too.

**There's our main girl, Kim Hye Jin who is in a rough patch in her life.
When she gets the chance to meet up with an old friend, she ends up hiding out of embarrassment at who she is now. Not as pretty or popular as she used to be, she's living with her best friend and job hunting. She ends up taking a job as an intern at a fashion magazine. (Also, she's hilarious)


**Then there's the main guy, Ji Sung Joon.
He was a chubby kid who got bullied and his only friend/first love was Hye Jin. He goes to America but eventually finds his way back to Korea, all grown up and hot stuff. And as the boss at a fashion magazine. (The man loves scarves and turtlenecks. Seriously. Every scene.) He's kind of a jerk, though, especially to a certain intern.


**The best friend is Min Ha Ri.
She's a very pretty girl from a well-off family, and she'll do anything for Hye Jin. Like pretend to be Hye Jin when Ji Sung Joon unexpectedly comes back to Korea.  It's only supposed to be a one time act, but of course grows into more. Can you say love triangle?


**Except it's totally a love square!
Kim Shin Hyuk works at the fashion magazine, too. He becomes friends with our main girl, and really takes a liking to her. He manages to be both very cute and very funny. And very cute.
Did I mention he was good looking?


There's wackiness and a lot of laughs. Even watching with subtitles and a different language/culture, it was a good show. Basically, everyone should go watch it and then we can laugh and swoon together. Deal?





PS - if for nothing else, watch it for this guy. Look at the dimples!



7 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I guess I better jump on the bandwagon soon too. I think I'm hesitating because I've been so busy that working to read subtitles just overwhelms me. Maybe when things calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The GIFs alone have me interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! It was so much fun to watch the few episodes we did together. And, yeah, Siwon is cute and I loved his personality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! This makes me so happy! Reporter Kim is just the best, most favorite character! And yes Siwon is probably one of the most attractive men ever and yet one of most polite! Ever! Ugh! He's just a good guy! I've had 100% success rate with She Was Pretty! I'm so glad you liked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love! We've totally got you. Siwon has totally got you. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love! We've totally got you. Siwon has totally got you. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You too huh? This is really hilarious!

    ReplyDelete