Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Little Women Discussion Questions Part 1

I'm so behind in posting my answers to the Little Women Read Along questions, but better late than never, right? I'm mostly on track to finish the next section by Friday. Mostly.

But here are my answers!



  1. What's your opinions so far about each of the girls? Do you identify more with one or the other of them? Do you like them, or do they get on your nerves in a way? Which one do you think would be your friend?
I like them all, for the most part. They feel a bit like stereotypes at times, but I like when they interact with each other. I like Jo the best, probably because I feel like I can relate to her the most. I was the second growing up and I feel like I have a lot of her outspoken-ness, without any of the worry of blazing the trail. (If that makes any sense). Beth feels very much like a stereotypical, too-good-to-live-long type, which is kind of unfortunate.
  1. What do you think of Mrs. March aka. Marmee? What's one of your favorite pieces of advice or lessons she's taught the girls so far?
She's kind and loves her girls. But holy cow she is boring to read about. She's a little too good and moralizing for me. I did like the lazy week, though, and her advice that no work is just as bad as too much work. That's some good CBT there, Mrs. March.
  1. Do you think that the characterization of these girls and this family is realistic? Explain.
Some things feel very realistic. I love when the sisters interact together, whether they're committing to being the best girls ever, or fighting, or doing hair, etc. I love the relationships. But they do feel a little too neat at other times, like they're there to demonstrate some kind of point or be an example of a specific personality type.
  1. What's your favorite scene or incident so far? And why?
Both of mine involve hair. First, when Jo cuts all hers off to donate money for her dad. Because it's impulsive and dramatic but good intentioned. The second when Jo burns Meg's hair before the big party because you know stuff like that had to happen in the olden days.
  1. If this is your first time reading this story, is it meeting your expectations? Or is it different than expected? Explain.
It's very different than I expected, but I like it. I think I was expecting more of a Jane Austen style social commentary/love story. And it's really not. The girls are all a little too good, with only superficial flaws so I would like a little more complexity. But I love the dynamic between the four of them. I'm enjoying the sisterly aspects a lot more than I expected.
  1. How do you feel about Jo cutting off her hair? Was this incident surprising to you? Do you think it's symbolic of anything?
I remembered it from the movie, so I wasn't surprised. It seemed very in line with Jo's character of big, impossible-to-be-missed gestures. I think she would have cut off all her hair for less, but I thought it was sweet that she did that for her dad/family.
  1. What's your feeling about the inclusion of poems, letters, stories, plays and etc. into the story? 
Umm, I've been skipping over a lot of them. I don't like being pulled from the story and having the girls pretend to be actors or whatever that secret society was. Although I did read the ones when they're writing letters to the mom while she was away. I liked those.
  1. Any thoughts in particular on the male characters in this story?
I like Laurie because he's funny. I know who he ends up with and I still can't believe that. Like, seriously. What is that.
I really like the grandpa, too. I loved that he gave the little piano to Beth.
I wish we saw more of the dad, but this is a very female-centric story and I'm ok with that.
  1. Are you liking this reading experience? If yes, why? If not, why?
Yes, I really am. The read alongs are always fun and I like seeing what people have to say on Twitter. I don't think I would have gone out of my way to read this on my own. But I'm glad I'm reading it with everyone. It makes me think about my older sister a lot, too, and it's fun to reminisce.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I still haven't posted my answers either. I was going to catch up and then last week happened (ER visit) and I'm just so behind now that I don't think I'm going to be able to catch up. Plus, I'm still really itchy and not in the mood to read. Sigh.

    I'm glad you're enjoying the book and the read-along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! I'm so excited you are joining us! And I'm glad you are enjoying the book. It is a very female strong book, and I love how a lot of the people participating can relate to the characters.

    ReplyDelete