Thursday, September 10, 2015

Hey It's A Post

its been quite awhile since I've done one of these so here's an update on all things Kathy. There's basically nothing bookish so skim as necessary.

Guys, life has been crazy. I get that everyone's life is busy and stressful and nuts, so I guess we're all in this together. Which is why I can say this past year has been extra hard as I've been fighting an anxiety disorder. Some days taking care of my kids and fighting that are all I can handle. I wish I had a nice little wrap up here, like: and then I started taking some medication and I'm all better now! Or: then I found a wonderful therapist and have reached enlightenment!

But those aren't true. I'm working with a really helpful therapist who is good with my occasional skepticsm and crotchety-ness. Medication made an impact but had too many crappy side effects for me to keep taking it. I know lots of people go through trial and error with that but for now it's not something I want to pursue.

So besides all that I try to keep up with my kids. My oldest is in first grade. It's been a transition to have full day school but that is getting easier for him. My middlest started preschool and really likes it. He has these two awesome grandma ladies for teachers and it's been a great fit. My baby is nearly 1, which is so crazy. She has some delays with motor skills and language so we're working with some early intervention programs on that. She does physical therapy every other week and it's made a big difference.

Occasionally I still read, although the recent stuff isn't the most blog-worthy. Right now I'm slowly making my way through two non-fiction books: Stop Walking on Eggshells, which talks a lot about setting boundaries in difficult relationships. And: Early Mormonism and the Magic Worldview, which appeals to the History major parts of me. I'm also trying to learn some basic computer programming because it's interesting and something I've never tried before.

So if you're still reading this, wow. And thanks. And that's what's been up with me. How are you all?

12 comments:

  1. I have a lot of close friends that have anxiety order and they are the same as you. Medication is trial and error and often what works for a while stops working at some point and the side effects are often not worth it. It is hard. My thoughts are with you. I hope you have a good support system where you are, people who can understand the disorder and love and support you through it. If you ever need to talk, I am here. Sorry you are going through that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the typos and punctuation errors. Typing on my phone often doesn't turn out as I wish it would...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! And no worries about the typos. My phone likes to "correct" all kinds of things.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety disorder. I understand because I have really bad anxiety problems and depression and Asperger syndrome and and and. It's hard. I understand why you don't want to pursue the medications. Personally, I couldn't survive without my medication. I would've given up on life a long time ago in the most permanent way possible. (That's sounds better than saying suicide.) Anyway, I hope you can find something that helps you whether it's just time with your therapist, other meds, no meds, meditation, whatever. If you need someone to talk to, I'm more than happy to lend an ear. I may not always have the answers, but I can empathize at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that Jenni. I've always liked that you're open about your experience with these kinds of things. It's good to know I'm not alone. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you squeezed a post in. I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety disorder. I really wish this kind of stuff wasn't so rampant. I struggle with depression and am still at the "not trying anything" phase. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really amazing how many people face anxiety and depression. But I still feel kind of awkward and embarrassed to talk about it. It's hard to know what to do. But I hope you find something that works for you too.

      Delete
  5. You know we are here for you! I hope coming out and doing things (like boo club and movies and etc.) helps and doesn't make it worse... know what I mean? :) Anyway, I've been wondering and worrying about you. Here's hoping you can get a handle on it soon and find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suey! I really do appreciate the invites, even if I'm a flake a lot of the time. :) it was actually your tweet that nudged me into writing this, so there you go.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your anxiety disorder, Kathy. I have friends who deal with it and they say the same thing, it's all very much trial and error before you hit on what works. Hope you'll hit on the right thing for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you have to deal with all that. It sounds like a lot. Let us know if you need anything. Girl's lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you've been dealing with anxiety problems. It's hard enough raising energetic little kids who sap all your time and energy without added issues! I hope things get better soon.

    The eggshells book sounds interesting. My husband is always recommending BOUNDARIES IN MARRIAGE by Henry Cloud and John Townsend to people -- sounds like it might be similar to the one you're reading?

    ReplyDelete