Friday, March 27, 2015

A Day in My Life: Wednesday

Today anyone who wants to is linking up a day in their life at Trish's blog: Love, Laughter, & Insanity. I decided to document my Wednesday, which is only a little atypical because my oldest has a shorter school day.



Here's how it all went down:


5:45 – The baby woke up to eat. She’s stuffy so I had to suction her nose. She actually doesn’t mind that.

Somewhere in here I woke up for good but I didn't write it down. Probably closer to 7:45.

8:15 - try to bribe 2 year old to go potty. Change his diaper instead. He put his Halloween shirt on over the outfit I picked out for him.

wearing the Halloween shirt
8:30 – feed the baby. Listen to some Sam Tsui, who is my new favorite YouTube singer.

8:45 – dismantle the cushion fort the boys made and pick up the living room. Remind oldest to take care of the cereal he didn’t finish and have him get dressed. Pass the basket full of clean laundry and grab 5 things to fold up and put away. I don't like to fold laundry so this is the way I trick myself into doing it.

9:00 – 2 year old has a diaper blowout. This does not normally happen. Clean him up. Clean the carpet where he was sitting. Start some laundry. Grab a new pair of pants for him out of the clean clothes basket – one less thing to fold up today.

9:16 – sorting laundry. Boys get in a fight over some legos. Remember husband was out of work socks. Briefly wonder what he ended up wearing. Remember the toast I left in the toaster.

side-eyeing her brothers

9:21 My husband Rusty calls. Ask him what socks he wore. Top the baby off while we talk.

9:31 – put the baby down for a nap. Start oldest’s homework. It's a workbook where he practices writing a letter and finding pictures of 5 things that start with that letter. The letter this week is U. Try to find pictures of unicorns, or universities, or underwear…

9:33 – Rusty calls back with a question.

9:58 – Oldest gets upset that it’s too hard to find things that start with U. It really is. Finally finds a picture of an umbrella, bringing his total of pictures found to 1. Total pictures now found: 5.

10:05 – put pbs kids on for the kids so I can shower.

10:44 – regret the Doritos I ate yesterday. Have carrots for a snack. The boys have crackers

10:55 – decide to crockpot some chicken and potatoes so I don’t have to worry about making dinner tonight. Find science in the potato bag. Accidentally drop the bottle of bbq sauce into the crock pot.

science!
11:13 – find 2 year old’s crackers all smashed. Get the vacuum. Have oldest look through the pictures on his reading book.

mess

11:15 – lose patience with the kid and yell. Notice the vacuum smells like burning. It wakes the baby up. Have oldest read me his book.

11:27 – change the baby’s poopy bum. Make bologna sandwiches for the boys. Realize I missed the bloggiesta chat.

11:36 – 2 year old keeps putting his bologna on his face and saying he’s a pirate. I try not to laugh but it's funny.

11:42 - yell at the kids again for making a mess with their lunch.

11:45 – get everyone ready to take oldest to school. And 2 year old is poopy again. Normally this doesn’t happen. Possibly he has that stomach bug oldest had on Sunday. (ETA: he totally did)

11:50 – now oldest has to go potty. School starts in 10 minutes. Everyone get some shoes on, I say several times.

12:08 – back home and feeding the baby. Can’t remember which side I’m on but left’s as good a guess as any.

12:17 – go over a couple letters with 2 year old . Rock out to his favorite song, Eye of the Tiger.

12:24 – baby spits up on her clothes so I change her. No big deal because she was still in jammies anyway.

dressed for the day
12:30 – 2 year old went into his room and laid on his bed. Normally this doesn’t happen but I’m ok with it. It’s early out for school anyway so we have to pick up oldest by 2:15. If he can get a little nap in there, great. Time to make myself a sandwich.

12:42 – switched the laundry and totally forgot the sandwich. Eating and rocking the baby in my lap and watching a little of Monday’s episode of The Voice.

12:57 top the baby off again before a nap.

1:07 – both kids are asleep. Time to read for a little while.

2:05 - wake the kids up so we can get oldest.

2:31 - back home again. 2 year old throws a fit because he’s still tired. Oldest throws a fit because I won’t give him candy. I hit up my stash of Doritos.

2:42 – Rusty calls to hear about oldest’s day & tell us about his class.

3 – take some medicine because I’m starting to feel bleh. Feed the baby.

3:30 – more laundry. The boys put their clothes away and play with toys.

3:53 – snack break

4:05 - realize my eyebrows are looking a little scary and try to shape them.

4:12 – top the baby off then put her down for another nap.

4:24 – 2 year old was coloring a picture, then his face.

washable markers
4:36 – had to stop a fight between the boys.

4:49 – so tired. This is the longest/hardest part of the day. I give up and put on a movie.

5:15 – unload the dishwasher, switch the laundry, change the towels in the boys’ bathroom

5:37 – husband is home!


5:45 – the boys set the table. Oldest announces he won’t eat anything I’ve made. I let Rusty deal with that.

5:56 – change 2 year old’s diaper

6:15 – dinner: bbq crockpot chicken and potatoes, cous cous, raw carrots, and peaches. It was so good.

We're really into couscous lately

6:25– We send the boys outside to play. Oldest starts hitting. Normally he doesn't do that. Gets time out.

6:47 – the baby wakes up from her nap. I change her bum.

7:05 – I put dinner away. Rusty gets 2 year old to go potty.

7:15 – suction the baby’s nose while 2 year old cleans up toys. Oldest throws fit. Weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth. Earns one way ticket to early bed time. He just did not have a good day on Wednesday.

7:25 – feed the baby

7:45 – put 2 year old to bed and wash the dinner dishes.

8:15 – veg with Rusty

8:40 – feed the baby one last time.

8:50 – put baby down for the night.

9 – writing group chat

11 – go to bed

Exciting, right? :) Not every day is quite that crazy, but I'm sure anyone with little kids can relate.

37 comments:

  1. This brings back such memories, Kathy! So much going on, even before you hit noon. And thank goodness for washable markers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true :) That's not the first time he's colored on his face. I hid the markers but he found them!

      Delete
  2. There is SO much in this post that I can relate to that I don't even know where to start. Except I tototally would have had many more exclamation points after "Daddy is Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL!

    I like your laundry theory and I had to laugh at the pirate face. It's so hard when you want to laugh so badly but know you can't because you don't want to encourage the antics.

    But really--just the moving from one task to another to another. Sometimes I wonder how our brains can hold so much. I'll find it's halfway through the afternoon and I still haven't eaten anything for lunchtime.

    Thanks for sharing Kathy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone :) I loved reading about your day with your girls. It inspired me to make some cookies!

      Delete
  3. Now why did I want to have kids?... No I'm kidding I actually look forward to days like this (Minus the blow outs). I know, I'm crazy. But when you don't have it you want it. You know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I hope it all works out for you and your husband. Some days are crazy but I love my wild kiddos :)

      Delete
  4. Wow. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with all of that. I don't mean to make that sound awful because it's not meant to be that way at all. After 17 years of marriage with no children, this just terrifies me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take it badly at all! Wednesday ended up being extra crazy. I wasn't expecting that but some days just turn out that way.

      Delete
  5. I remember those types of days! I laughed at the picture of the drawing on his face. So cute. Hang in there and good luck with potty training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Potty training is tough so I'm thinking of turning some of it over to my husband. Our little guy is responding to my husband better right now anyway. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all :)

      Delete
  6. You are wonder woman. I'm expecting my second child, and can't decide if I'm looking forward to it or if I think we were insane to do all this again. Despite how much is demanded of parents of young children, you post makes me think that maybe I'm looking forward to it. (Except for all the poopy diapers. There's just no getting around how much I hate changing diapers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Melissa! I didn't know you were expecting. I know everyone (and every kid) is different but going from 1 to 2 kids was a pretty smooth transition for me. I still think going from no kids to having one was the hardest. You will do great!

      Delete
  7. Loved this! Loved it. Love the pictures - cute kiddos and that marker face - priceless. I'd be hitting the Doritos stash too. Dinner looked good though. You young mommies are amazing. And funny. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And maybe that dinner was something you have to be over 5 to enjoy. My kids totally don't realize what they're missing :)

      Delete
  8. I can so relate to all of this...no wonder we are friends. :) And I am so impressed you could pluck your eyebrows in less than 10 minutes, that is a talent right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Melissa! I still remember your facebook post about wanting to sing "we're all in this together!" at the grocery store. :)

      Delete
  9. Hey, I have some potatoes like those.

    Your kids are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And my potatoes always seem to end up like that. Guess I don't eat them as often as I buy them :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome post Kathy! I love it! What a crazy day! You are doing awesome. And yeah for getting a writing chat in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing chat was a lot of fun! Yay for talking to adults.

      Delete
  11. Busy! I am convinced that parenting is 80% cleaning up messes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I need to work on getting my kids to clean up a little more. :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. It was pretty wild. Thankfully the next day was about a million times more laid back!

      Delete
  13. What is it about toddlers coloring their faces and everything else? For years one of my greatest fears was that my kids would get a hold of some permanent markers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that would be scary! And totally something my kids would do... :)

      Delete
  14. I love that you found science in the potatoes (and that that's how you described it!). I also love that you call feeding the baby topping her off. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to look at it that way so I can laugh about some of the harder days. :)

      Delete
  15. I had to laugh as I read your post. Such a busy day, but you handled it like a pro. My daughter likes to color herself too. Give her a marker and she's suddenly coloring her entire hand. She is four now. She should know better. Thank goodness for washable markers. Thank you for sharing! You are doing a great job, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I'm sure you are doing great too. We moms need to stick together :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing your day! Had to laugh at the 2 year old's antics, even with feeling sick! But I have to know...what socks did your husband wear to work???

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a busy day! Love all the cute little faces -- even with marker on them!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the perspective on that pic of your husband...makes him look like a super-hero.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, what a day! The markers on the face picture is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man. Reading this feels like my life. So busy so hectic! I wish I had joined in on this event. It looked like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are super mom! This is why I only have one right now. More kids scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness! I remember those days - it's a good thing they are so cute when they are little. I often said it was the only thing keeping them alive. That and the time I spent looking at them while they were asleep. They're all angels then!

    ReplyDelete