Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top 10 Tuesday: Likes/Dislikes in Romance

Today's Top 10 Tuesday topic is: Likes/Dislikes in Love Stories. I love a good romance so I have some pretty strong opinions on this! 



Link up at The Broke and The Bookish if you want to play along.

These are the best:

Flawed characters
People who struggle and have to work on their issues in order to get together make for some of the most rewarding love stories.

Nice people
I just like reading about characters who treat people well, especially people they're interested in. It's fun to read about cute things they do for each other. And then I totally steal their ideas and use them in real life.

Friends first
I love the added tension of two characters who know each other really well and get along great, and then try to navigate how to turn it into something more.

Slow Build up
The best example of this? the kiss at the end of the North and South miniseries

Star crossed lovers
Kestrel and Arin, anyone? It adds so much more conflict to the story when there are real things getting in the way of the characters getting together, but I really want them to anyway.



Less of this, please:

Unrealistic
He's cute and rich and smart and plays all the instruments and is good at everything, and there is no one who is actually like this.

I hate you! Oh wait, no, I love you.
I never buy these. If they start out with misunderstandings, that's different. But if they legitimately know and dislike the person (and aren't like 10 years old) it's hard to believe they'd get together.

Bad boys
Guys who are cocky and full of themselves and treat people badly are not my favorite characters to read about.

Love Triangles
You always know who's going to be picked. There's no tension.

Instalove
I'm all for instant attraction and people wanting to get to know someone cute. But when they're willing to drop everything for someone they just met because it's love? I shake my head at them.


What do you love in a love story? What are some of your favorite books that get it right?

5 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes!! Amen to everything you've said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Couldn't agree more... Sometimes I like the bad boy, but only if he's faking and really had a heart of gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Jenny! A faking bad boy! Love it!

      Delete
  3. We have many of the same things. Who knew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yes to everything! I'm so happy you are blogging again! I've miss you!

    ReplyDelete