Thursday, February 12, 2015

Read This: My True Love Gave to Me

My True Love Gave to Me
edited by Stephanie Perkins

The Goodreads Summary Says:
If you love holiday stories, holiday movies, made-for-TV-holiday specials, holiday episodes of your favorite sitcoms and, especially, if you love holiday anthologies, you’re going to fall in love with My True Love Gave To Me: Twelve Holiday Stories by twelve bestselling young adult writers, edited by international bestselling author Stephanie Perkins. Whether you enjoy celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah, Winter Solstice or New Year's there's something here for everyone. So curl up by the fireplace and get cozy. You have twelve reasons this season to stay indoors and fall in love.

I Say:
4 stars

Winter-themed love stories are good until at least Valentine's Day, right?

This is the first short story anthology I've read and it was really cute. It might seem like reading a dozen holiday-themed love stories would get repetitive but there was a nice mix of holidays, characters, and situations in My True Love Gave to Me. I was familiar with all of the book's authors except for Kelly Link and Myra McEntire so I had high expectations. And really, nearly every story is strong. The only one that was a bit of a miss for me was Jenny Han's Polaris Is Where You'll Find Me (not much of a romance). I also skipped David Levithan's story because he's just not a favorite of mine. But that's the beauty of an anthology - read what you want, skip what you don't. I also really liked reading the stories and then guessing which of the couples on the cover went with that story. The illustrations are all great.

Some favorites:
Best overall: Laini Taylor's The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer (although it was the least holiday-themed) The writing is beautiful and I was so invested in things working out for the characters.

Cutest Romance: Rainbow Rowell's Midnights and Stephanie Perkins' It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown (and really, no surprise that these two were best in romance) Both have fun, quirky characters.

Most "Hallmark holiday special" like: Kiersten White's Welcome to Christmas, CA (which was just right in it's holiday cheesiness) and Ally Carter's Star of Bethlehem (which was a little over the top for me)

Totally different but still cool: Holly Black's Krampuslauf

If you're a fan of any of these writers the short stories in here won't let you down.

7 comments:

  1. That's quite the list of authors. I'm not a fan of short stories but these authors might tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good group, but I'm also a fan of short stories (at least, I am after reading this) :)

      Delete
  2. I read Rainbow Rowell's story while standing in a bookstore and thought it was way cute. I also started the Laini Taylor one, and your review reminds me I had to leave before I finished it. So I should probably get in line for this at the library. I'm glad you liked most of the stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! do it! :) I'd bet there's no line for it now

      Delete
  3. I'll have to read this for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete