Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Read This: All the Truth That's In Me

All the Truth That's In Me
by Julie Berry

The Goodreads Summary Says:
Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.

I Say:
4 stars
This is a great book that hasn't gotten nearly enough attention in the blogging world.

This book is so dark but it's really gripping. It focuses on Judith, a girl living in a Puritanical society who goes missing within days of her good friend, Lottie. Lottie's body is found in the river but Judith returns to the town two years later with her tongue cut out. Instead of being welcomed back she's shunned by everyone. Even her family. Her story is written in second person - Judith's thoughts to Lucas, the neighbor boy she's been in love with her whole life.

I felt bad for Judith! She's treated so terribly throughout the book that any time someone was nice to her I was waiting for a catch. The story is told in fragments and flashbacks, and Judith's voice is really compelling. I had to know what happened to her and Lottie, and that kept me turning pages. But then I would see more pieces of the puzzle and they were really disturbing.

What I enjoyed most was watching Judith learn to reject the terrible treatment and start to go after what she wanted. I thought she had an almost uncomfortable focus on Lucas, though, and her relationship with him was probably the weakest part of the story for me. I would have liked more of it, to make it a little more believable. But the ending was everything I could have wanted, and I liked that the mystery was solved without tying everything up in a neat bow

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to read this one. I can see why the author might choose to put a romance in there if she was going to write it in second person but I'm worried about the unhealthy obsession she had with him??? I'll still try it I think. The mystery intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! I really did like the book. I just don't like when one character is kind of obsessed with another when they don't really interact at all (at least as the story starts)

      Delete
  2. Suey really liked this one too. I need to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good book. Definitely some dark parts but still really good.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one. I agree -- it hasn't gotten nearly enough attention in the book world. Have you read Berry's new book, THE SCANDALOUS SISTERHOOD OF PRICKWILLOW PLACE? It's totally different from this one, but really good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't know she had a new book. I'll have to check it out :)

      Delete