Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Utah Book Review: Evertrue

Evertrue (Everneath #3)
by Brodi Ashton

The Goodreads Summary Says: **Spoilers for Previous Books**
Now that Nikki has rescued Jack, all she wants is to be with him and graduate high school. But Cole tricked Nikki into feeding off him, and she’s begun the process of turning into an Everliving herself... which means she must feed on a Forfeit soon — or die.

Terrified for her survival, Nikki and Jack begin a desperate attempt to reverse the process using any means possible. Even Cole, who they expected to fight them at every turn, has become an unlikely ally — but how long can it last? Nikki needs to feed on Cole to survive, Cole needs Nikki to gain the throne in the Everneath, Jack needs Nikki because she is everything to him — and together, they must travel back to the Underworld to undo Nikki’s fate and make her mortal once more. But Cole isn’t the only one with plans for Nikki: the Queen has not forgotten Nikki’s treachery, and she wants her destroyed for good. Will Nikki be forced to spend eternity in the Underworld, or does she have what it takes to bring down the Everneath once and for all?

In this stunning conclusion to the Everneath trilogy, Brodi Ashton evokes the resiliency of the human spirit and the indomitable power of true love

 
I Say:
3.5 stars
This book might be better than 3.5 stars, but I think that's an accurate rating for how much I enjoyed it. I was so intrigued by the premise set up in Everneath, and then I couldn't get enough of the world building and action in Everbound. So my expectations for Evertrue were probably too high (through the roof). And... unfortunately, it didn't meet them. I never realized how important Cole was to the story until Evertrue. He's intersting and plays dirty. I loved how Nikki knew she shouldn't trust him, but found she had to try anyway. Cole, and his anti-hero hijinks, are all the fun of the story. And, through a series of twists, he's not as involved in the plot of Evertrue as he is in the other books. I was so incredibly disappointed by this. I can see how the twists facilitated the plot, but it took all the fun out of the story for me. That constant sense of tension Cole brings was missing, and I found myself flying through pages hoping to get it back.

So instead of the fun of Cole, the book focuses on Nikki and Jack and their hopes of getting Nikki out of what happened at the end of Everbound. For me, the sweet, caring Jack of the first couple books was gone and he was replaced by more a brutish, cartoony character. My heart wasn't with Jack (or Nikki) and it felt like they were going through a checklist of tasks to try to bring the Everneath down. I felt like this big sense of danger, or conflict, was missing. The very end of the story was really enjoyable for me, and the writing there was so good. But I think taking Cole out of the equation the way the author did just made the story a bit of a disappointment on the whole

 
The Big Three:
Language: a couple profanities
Sex and Stuff: not an issue
Violence: some death and mildly gory scenes


2 comments:

  1. I will have to refer my son to this site, he reads a lot. So glad to see you here blogging there are so many deserted blogs these days. Thanks for letting me visit.
    Susan
    http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
    http://joininandgogreen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete