Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Read This: We Were Liars

We Were Liars
by E Lockhart

The Goodreads Summary Says:
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.
Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


I Say:
4 stars
This is the kind of book that's best to go into knowing absolutely nothing! So, if you're interested in reading it, skip the reviews until you're done.

**Slight spoilers**
I'd heard some buzz for this book, especially that it had some ending, and I wish I hadn't known that. Because I ended up thinking the ending was obvious pretty early on. At one point I was sure that the author only wanted me to believe that was what was going on, so I was a little disappointed to get to the end and see that I was right. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't figured out the what, although it was really interesting to read the how/why. I didn't expect the reasons, so there was still enough mystery to keep me turning pages.
**End spoilers**

Otherwise there was a lot to like about We Were Liars. I've been an E Lockhart fan since the Ruby Oliver series, and this book has a different tone but some similar ideas (wealth and how it affects people, family issues, good/dumb dogs) I loved the poetic writing, from Cady's unreliable descriptions of her life events, to the different variations on her story. I absolutely love reading an unreliable narrator, and there's plenty of that in a book called "We Were Liars." The book is really smartly put together. And the emotion at the end was pretty powerful. Overall a good book. Just try to hear as little as possible about it before reading


The Big Three:
Language: overall infrequent, but a few instances of the f-word
Sex and Stuff: some kissing
Violence: vague references to injuries but nothing explicit

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I just barely finished this book! I loved it, though I also didn't know anything going into it. I can see how spoilers could really ruin this one. I agree that the emotion at the end was pretty powerful. I'm impressed that you were able to write a coherent and thoughtful review, I had the hardest time writing mine. I felt like anything I said would be too spoilery, so I just virtually flailed my arms and demanded that my readers consider reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skipped the spoilers in your review, since I haven't read it. :) I have had this one on my list since I first heard about it. Sounds like it is a good one. I don't know much else about it. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete