Monday, April 21, 2014

Read This: Cress

Cress
by Marissa Meyer

The Goodreads Summary Says:
In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.


I Say:
4.5 stars

I really liked this one. Another fun edition to the Lunar Chronicles. I'm less familiar with the story of Rapunzel, other than the whole alone in the tower & long hair bit. So I couldn't identify how Meyer wove in parts of the original fairytale with her story. In fact when my book club talked about this one I learned some things about the original story that I wish I'd known going into it.


But it was still very enjoyable. At 550 pages I worried it would drag, but there were only one or two spots where I lost a bit of interest. (There are so many points of view, and a couple of the Kai chapters weren't that interesting to me) There are a couple things that are resolved conveniently and I guessed most of the twists, but the story is so unique and interesting that it didn't bother me. I would have liked to get to know Cress a bit better or had more time in her POV specifically, but with this many characters it's hard to do.

The Big Three:
Language: not an issue
Sex and Stuff: not an issue
Violence: fighting with fists and weapons, but nothing graphic; a character is tortured

1 comment:

  1. I love this series, but I wonder how the author will manage the series with so many characters. She keeps adding more and more with each book. I hope it doesn't get too jumbled. I'm excited to read this!

    ReplyDelete