Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The January Recap!

In January I read:

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E Smith
Like The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, the cute romance takes a backseat to some family drama. I don't think Smith's books are for me.

Roomies by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando
Loved this alternating POV of two girls getting ready to go to college.

Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano
DeStefano has such a pretty writing style, but I would have appreciated a more defined conflict in this series opener.

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald
This was a cute story about a girl who has to get past her fixation on a friend who will never be "more than friends" I loved her adventures trying different things and learning to be her own person.

Defy by Sara B Larson
This high fantasy debut had a lot of world building issues and wasn't for me, but had a really strong ending.

Plain Kate by Erin Bow
This was a middle grade fantasy that one of my book clubs read. I really felt for the characters, and I loved the talking cat.

Favorites for the month were Roomies, Getting Over Garrett Delaney, and Plain Kate.


I was also able to go to the Sara Zarr signing at the Provo Library and I'll be writing about that soon.

And I officially joined a writing group! Some local bloggers and I are going to give this writing business a go and I'm excited. And also slightly afraid that I will be critiqued as hard as I critique! Good thing our writing group has the #2 & #3 toughest reviewers in Utah County....

3 comments:

  1. Getting Over Garrett Delaney has been on my TBR for FOREVER. Like, seriously. If you enjoyed it, maybe I should actually get around to it finally :) And I'm glad you liked Plain Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked Getting Over Garrett Delaney. I really really ended up liking that one. I wish I had known about the Sara Zarr signing. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard sooo much about Roomies. I really want to read it!!

    ReplyDelete