Friday, February 14, 2014

Author Interview: Kristin Bryant

Today on the blog I'm happy to have debut author Kristin Bryant. Her book, The Others, came out this past September.

Summary from Goodreads:
A dangerous adventure to save a distant world Ryen is just a normal guy trying to do his job. Unfortunately, that job includes trying to save his distant world on the brink of disaster.

Ryen is on a mission to Earth to find the answers to his distant world's most critical questions. While searching the Yucatan Peninsula for a mythic figure-a savior-who would live a perfect life and ultimately die to save their souls, Ryen meets Savannah, a beautiful woman hiding a painful past. On their dangerous adventures together through the untamed jungles of Mexico, he can't help but fall in love with her. As his time runs out, Ryen must decide if he is willing to give up everything he has ever known and loved to stay on Earth with Savannah.

The Masters, a powerful clan of corrupt leaders, are plotting to take back Earth, the sacred planet, from the humans. Ryen and Savannah are thrust into the middle of The Masters' plot.





Find Kristin online:

About The Others:

 How did you get your idea for The Others?

The idea came to me while I was doing laundry. It came so out of nowhere and so clearly, I actually dropped my laundry basket on my feet. It was such a strange idea, I wasn’t sure what to do with it at first. It took me a little bit of time to put pen to paper and start outlining a story around it, especially because I had never thought of writing a book before.

Was it difficult to write from a male POV?

It was actually a lot fun! I let my dad read early versions and he said Ryen (the main character) wasn’t believable because his thoughts weren’t violent enough. So, I had to man up a little. I also paid close attention to the way my husband would answer questions- straight and to the point, no frills, no nonsense. I tried to write Ryen that way. 

About Writing:

What is your writing process like? Any routines that help you write?

Whenever I get stuck, I surf Facebook. There’s something about doing something totally mindless that frees up your brain for creative thought (FB friends, don’t take this as a hint that your posts about what you had for lunch are mindless…)
And when I really get stuck, I grab my phone full of music and hit the running trail. I usually come back with all sorts of ideas. My website has a playlist for my book that goes along with each chapter.

How you do find balance between your writing and all your other life responsibilities? 

I realized very early that no one is going to pay you to get good at something. If you want to accomplish something like writing a book, you have to pretend it is a job- the worst paying job ever. You have to set time apart for it. So, from 9:00 pm until midnight through the writing process, I treated it like a job. And it still counts as the best/worst job I’ve ever had. 

Any advice for aspiring authors?

Anyone can say they want to write a book. Few people do it. Why? Because…
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison
Work hard. Work often. Don’t give up.

Check out more of my interview with Kristin after the jump.




Which books did you like reading as a teen?

 I didn’t read much for pleasure as a teen. I was too busy reading books AP lit teachers tried to convince me were classics. Speaking of which, John Steinbeck- you need to go have a day at Disneyland or something, man. And take J.D. Salinger along with you! Yeesh!

I was more or less frightened away from literature for a good long time after reading every scathing diatribe on the human condition prescribed by public education. It wasn’t until Harry Potter that my faith in the written word was restored.


If you could be a character from any book, who would you be?
  
I think most people would pick Elizabeth Bennet, but I’d choose to be Mr. Darcy- he was the cat with the money in the first place.

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

When I hit about chapter six and thought, “I’m sort of having an amazing time writing. Let’s do this!”

 When you aren't writing, what are some things you like to do?

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year so I am actively fighting that little beast. I also take classical ballet classes, I love bikram yoga, I run half-marathons, I sculpt marvelous works of art out of play-doh with my boys (at least they like them). I make a mean peanut butter and jelly sandwich but my specialty is making reservations for a great Thai place down the street.

 What's next for you?

My personal goal for 2014 is to have more fun than I did in 2013 (with the mastectomy, chemo and radiation deal, that shouldn’t be too hard). So, that means writing the sequel to The Others, hanging out at the beach and reminding myself how beautiful life is when you have your health.

2 comments:

  1. Fun interview! I love books from male pov so I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I really hope you like my story! :)

      Delete