Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014 Reading Challenges

I'm going to try something new for 2014 and participate in a reading challenge! It's called:

My Little Pocketbooks

Diversity on the Shelf hosted by My Little Pocketbooks
My goal is Second Shelf, to read 7-12 books by or about a person of color.
I could really use this, since last year I read 2 books by authors of color. And only 1 book where the main character was explicitly a person of color.(The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan)
Actually, 4 books with main characters of color. Thank you, Girl of Fire and Thorns series. 
Also, Park from Eleanor & Park. So 5.



I'm also shooting for a goal of 65 books read this year. So if 12 of them fit the diversity challenge, that'll be 18.5% of my total reads. Unlike 2013's 10%


What reading challenges are you doing this year? What are some of your favorite books by or about people of color?

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny! Like you, I often don't pay attention to the race of my authors and/or characters, and don't realize that one may or may not be a person of color. I joined in at Third Shelf level - we'll see if I can keep better track now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! And one of my favorite authors is Bernice McFadden. She's written many books, but two of them are "Glorious" and "Sugar" - they may not, however, be to your reading taste, as they are rather tragic and dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I'm in the mood for a darker read. I'll be on the look out for those books.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Diversity on the Shelf Reading Challenge Katy. I know this challenge might be a strech for some and if you are looking for a good read in any genre that will fit this challenge, don't hesitate to ask. If you like YA there is a blog called Diversity in YA you check out. Good luck and thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited for this. I'll have to check out that blog. :)

      Delete