Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 End of Year Book Survey

I absolutely love this survey put together by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner. Here are my answers!

Best YA book 2013


1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)


I'll be doing a list of these for Top Ten Tuesday tomorrow, but my overall favorite read was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I loved it so much I asked for it for Christmas. And yes, my sweet wonderful husband got it for me!

And I've already reread it...

 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?


Sadly, Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller. Everyone loved this, but I couldn't get behind anyone or anything in the entire book.

Also, Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. The whole thing was just a gigantic mess for me.

 

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 


Thin Space by Jody Casella, which I'd never even heard of but absolutely loved. And The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, because I don't do traditional fantasy yet I couldn't get enough of that series.

 

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

 

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Everyone should read that one.

 

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?


I just finished Legend by Marie Lu and it was great! I'm hoping the rest of the books are as fun. Also, The Girl of Fire and Thorns series. That's the best-ended series I've ever read.

 

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?


Rainbow Rowell or Julianne Donaldson. I read two books by each of them this year and they were great.

 

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?


I read some non-fiction this year! Because I Said So by Ken Jennings was really educational while still being funny. And I've started (but yet to finish) Stiff by Mary Roach. It's all about the different uses of cadavers and it's fascinating. As long as you can get past the initial squick.

 

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?


Everbound by Brodi Ashton was intense, start to finish. And the ending!!!

 

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?


Yeah, that'd be Fangirl again. Because I've already reread it. And now I own it. And I love it. Seriously everyone, just go read it.

 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

 

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 


Elisa from The Girl of Fire and Thorns, Cath from Fangirl, Ryan Dean from Winger by Andrew Smith. In a three-way fight, Cath would walk away, Ryan Dean would do something immature, and Elisa would torch them all.

 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?


The Book Thief.

 

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 


Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. I loved it so much I didn't even know how to review it. I could relate to Auden a lot and reading her story made me want to go out and try doing every single thing I've ever wanted to.

 

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 


The Book Thief. What would I do without Suey and Kami, who finally got me to read that?

 

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

 From Fangirl:

 16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?


Longest: The Diviners by Libba Bray (578 pages, and it feels like, too)
Shortest: not counting children's books - The Prince by Kiera Cass (64 pages) 

 

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!


That one part in The Book Thief where you realize exactly what's going to happen in the book, or that part in Winger. You know which part if you've read it.

 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).


Romance – Elisa and Hector from The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Friendship – Ronan and Gansey from The Dream Thieves
Familial — Cath and Wren and their dad from Fangirl

 

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously


Mind Games by Kiersten White. It's so different from Paranormalcy but it was gritty and crazy hard to put down.

 

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:


The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

 

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?


contemporary YA!

 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?


So many! Gansey from The Dream Thieves, Hector from The Girl of Fire and Thorns, Levi from Fangirl, Henry from Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson

 

23. Best 2013 debut you read?


Transparent by Natalie Whipple was so fun!

 

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

 

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?


Fangirl, Transparent, Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed, and The Day the Crayons Quit.

 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?


The Book Thief. I was a huge, snotting mess at the end of that one.

 

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?


Thin Space by Jody Casella. I honestly haven't seen anyone review or even mention this one.


 

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013? 


Smiling LDS Girl. I discovered Rachel and her blog during The Book Thief readalong I co-hosted with Suey and Kami.

 

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 

I
t's not a review, but this playlist I made for The Dream Thieves.

 

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?


On spoilers!

 

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?


Suey's post after we got back from a writing critique group. Someday I'll write up how that all went down. There were swords. And people living in their parents' basements. And trendy girls with trendy hair. It was something.

 

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?


The Book Thief readalong and Utah Book Month. Good times all around.

 

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?


Doing NaNoWriMo. I can't believe I wrote 50,000 words in one month. I can't believe I'm thinking of trying to do something with those 50,000 words.

 

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?


This last discussion post we did for The Book Thief. (It's actually my second most popular post of all time) I really enjoyed that readalong. Maybe I'll do another one again sometime.

 

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?


I don't really have a specific post. Probably just my reviews in general, especially for lesser known books.

 

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?


 I'm drawing a blank here.

 

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?


I finished my Goodreads goal! And NaNo.

2014-books


 

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?



Oh man, so many. As always. I've been meaning to read Defy by Sara Larsen (a local author!) for weeks.

 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?


I did a Top Ten Tuesday on this very thing.

 

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?


I can't think of one right now.

 

 4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?


Into The Still Blue by Veronica Rossi and Evertrue by Brodi Ashton.

 

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

 

I'd really like to promote local authors more on the blog. Utah has such a big writing community so I'd like to feature that more, and not just during Utah Book Month.

 

Happy New Year to everyone! What do you hope to do in 2014? 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that moment in The Book Thief is a pretty big WTF moment. It almost had epic consequences for me. :)

    I'm glad you liked Everbound, but I'm sad you didn't like Clockwork Princess. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you read THE BOOK THIEF this year. It's excellent for so many reasons! I re-read it this year and loved it just as much the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like your survey. My best reads this year were, The Book Thief and The Fault in Our Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't take it anymore. I keep seeing the Day the Crayons Quit everywhere. So I just put it on hold at my library. I have to see what the hype is about. I loved Utah Book Month too. It was a lot of fun. I don't live in Utah anymore but still visit there a few times a year. I miss it sooo much. Here is my survey:

    http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2013/12/2013-end-of-year-book-survey.html

    ReplyDelete