Sunday, November 3, 2013

October Recap

October was not the best reading month. Good thing I never recapped my September reading so it will look better than it actually was!

In October I had two DNF books, but I finished:

The Distance Between Us by Kassie West
Cute contemporary twist on poor girl meets rich boy.

Just Ella by Annette Larsen
Light, fun romance.

The Diviners by Libba Bray
Creepy 20's murder mystery that was good but so freaking long.


In September I read:

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
My favorite read of 2013.

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
A tough, but riveting book about a boy who takes a gun to school with plans to shoot his former best friend and then himself.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
It's as good as everyone says it is.

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Middle grade about a sad gorilla. The story was just ok for me but the pictures were amazing.

Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson
Even better than Edenbrooke!

Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike
Start of a new time-traveling fantasy series that isn't quite as good as her others.

Favorites were:
Blackmoore, The Book Thief, and Fangirl. You can't go wrong with any of those!

For November I probably won't be around a ton. I'm giving NaNoWriMo a try. It's scary and exciting and makes me realize I overuse so many words! You can see what I'm working on here, if you're curious.

What are you doing this November?

10 comments:

  1. Looks like I need to jump on the Rainbow Rowell bandwagon! I actually really liked THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN, which surprised me because I'm not a huge animal lover. Too bad it was just okay for you and too bad I can't remember the illustrations ... LOL, that's what happens when you get old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess! I think I was just expecting something different with Ivan. I thought it would be a lighter book, but not so much. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. I finally read Fangirl, and it was pretty dang good. The Distance Between us sounds like something I need to add to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Eleanor and Park. I thought Fangirl was good, but Eleanor and Park blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I liked that Fangirl was a little lighter and happier, but I enjoyed E & P, too.

      Delete
  4. I loved The Diviners. It was long, but it was fun and creepy! :)

    Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun book! I'm interested to see what happens with the sequel.

      Delete
  5. I loved The Book Thief too! I'm hopefully going to get to Blackmoor this month and have heard such good things about, I can't wait to see if I like it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I'm really becoming a fan of her books. :)

      Delete