Monday, November 11, 2013

How NaNo is Going

In my last post I mentioned that I'm giving NaNoWriMo a try this year. I've been inspired by Suey's posts on how her project is going, so here's an update on mine. Because I'm sure everyone is so curious. (Not really)



So, a few things:
  1. I'm writing a YA contemporary romance about a girl who's been living abroad with her parents and just moved back to the US for her senior year. There's embarrassment, some angst, a rivalry between foreign language clubs, and a little kissing. Assuming I can write it.
  2. I was really embarrassed by my writing the first couple days, (because it is not good) until I forced myself to read some of it to my husband. 
  3. But not the kissing scene. I tried to read that and we were both laughing so uncomfortably hard  I had to stop.
  4. But! Having someone else read it has helped a lot. Rusty has good suggestions. I was completely stuck at one point and he had some good ideas about what should happen next. 
  5. It might have been vomiting. Which is why I didn't come up with it on my own.
  6. I'm having so much more fun than I expected. I alternate between thinking "This is a great story and I should try to do something with it!" and "Wow, this is the worst crap ever written and even the self-publishers would reject it." Somehow it's all still very enjoyable.
  7. I think about my little Sara & Davis all. the. time. It's crazy. I was in the middle of teaching Sunbeams (the 3 and 4 year olds) at church yesterday when I had a thought about plot. And it was a good thought, too. (Possibly? See #6)
So that's what I've been up to for the last 18,000 words. I have the best intentions of still reading books and blogging about them this month, but we'll see how it goes. For now I'm just enjoying taking a crack at writing.

5 comments:

  1. Love seeing your report too! It's awesome just learning... even a little, what it's sorta kinda like to do this. Keep it up! Your story sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel like I'm learning a lot, too. I love it.

      Delete
  2. Number 6 is totally the usual writer reaction!! welcome to the writers world. Good luck with the rest of NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Lan! Good to know I'm not alone. :)

      Delete
  3. Your description sounds like something I would read and I don't even read a ton of contemporary, so I definitely think you've got a good idea going on :) Good luck writing!

    ReplyDelete