Monday, October 28, 2013

Read This: Just Ella

Just Ella
by Annette Larsen

Just Ella is such a delightful story! For some reason I was expecting it to be a Cinderella retelling (from the title) but it's not. It's just a nice, quick read with a fun, clean romance. Ariella is royalty, but wants to be able to make her own choices. Gavin is a gardener who knows his place, but has trouble staying there. It's a familiar premise, but Larsen has a very cute take on it.

The characters are likeable, the bad guy is intriguingly bad, and the ending is very sweet. It felt a little repetitive in parts, and I started to get frustrated when it seemed like the characters were intentionally misunderstanding each other to draw out the conflict. So maybe some of the obstacles felt a little contrived. But overall I really enjoyed it. I was definitely routing for everything to work out for the characters, and the way the story wrapped up was very satisfying.
 3.5/5



The Big Three:
Language: not an issue
Sex and Stuff: not an issue
Violence: not an issue

Just So You Know:
I received a review copy of Just Ella as part of the blog tour hosted by I Am A Reader Not A Writer in exchange for an honest review. Just Ella is available now!

 
Check out the book blast for Just Ella. 

3 comments:

  1. I immediately thought this was a Cinderella retelling as well! Sometimes it's good to read a book that has familiar aspects that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when characters make their own problems by being silly, but I've generally heard good things about this book and it seems like you liked it otherwise so I still might give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of misunderstandings as conflicts. I'm not really sure what my issue is with them, but they frustrate me!

    ReplyDelete