Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Book Thief Read Along: Kick Off


Welcome, welcome, welcome to The Book Thief read along! I'm so excited to read this with everyone. Especially because...

I've Never Actually Read This

I know, I am ashamed.

So, for my kick off post, I wanted to share what I do know (or can make up) about The Book Thief:
  • It's narrated by death, who is quite the dancer (apparently)
  • It's set in Germany during World War II
  • There's a girl, and she steals books. I think she is the book thief.
  • Her family is hiding a Jewish(?) guy. Possibly in their house. 
  • They're making a movie, and the bad guy from Pirates of the Caribbean is also a bad guy? He's in it, anyway. 
  • Markus Zusak is Australian. I think. Not that that has anything to do with the book, but my list was really short.
  • Famous last line:
 And, that's all I've got.

How about you? If this is your first time reading, what do you already know about it? If you've read it before, what made you want to read it again?

The Schedule:
September 1: start reading
September 10: read through Part 3: Suey will host discussion on her blog
September 20: read through Part 6: Kami will host discussion on her blog
September 30: finish the book: I'll host final discussion, right here

11 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!! You are in for a real treat! The bad guy from Pirates actually plays my favorite character in the book! He is definitely NOT a bad guy, but the most loving and caring man in literature history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I think I've just gotten to his character now. It'll be interesting to see that actor play that type of character, since he's just kind of a pirate in my head.

      Delete
  2. I started this book way back in 2008 when my then-book club read it. However, I was pregnant at the time and this book led to some pretty crazy dreams, so I decided to put it away for a while. I just hadn't thought it pick it up again until I saw this read along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, crazy pregnant dreams are the worst. I can not imagine mixing this book in with that!
      But I'm so happy you're reading it with us. It's nice not to be the only person who doesn't know the plot. :)

      Delete
  3. I know the same things you know, plus the little tidbits from the first 200 pages I did read. :) I'm excited to find out what it's really all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's not as heavy of tone as I was expecting, but it's also kind of blunt so far. I wonder how that will play out as the story goes on...

      Delete
  4. Fun to see what you know so far! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to love this book. I know I did. I read it for the first time two months ago, after it being recommended to me for years. I should have just read it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I'm beginning to think, too. I've been putting off reading it forever.

      Delete
  6. You are going to love this book. I know I did. I read it for the first time two months ago, after it being recommended to me for years. I should have just read it years ago.

    ReplyDelete