Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Read This: Transparent

Transparent
by Natalie Whipple

The Short Story
Fiona is one of several genetically altered people with a special ability - she's completely invisible - which makes her invaluable to her crime-boss dad. When she and her mom make a break from the "family business" all she hopes for is a normal life. But her dad isn't so willing to let her go, and she may have found more than she bargained for.
A really fun read.
 4.5/5

Come for the....
fun! Natalie Whipple created such an interesting world. I loved reading about all the different mutations people had (flying! telekinesis! not needing to shave your legs because you're invisible!) And I appreciated that there was a logical reason for people to magically sprout powers. I loved the idea that the enhanced people were recruited into crime (because of course bad people would want to use that to their advantage), and basically distrusted by everyone else (because of course they're afraid they're being taken advantage of).

And then there were the characters. Fiona goes from distrusting everyone and feeling like she doesn't know herself, to learning to trust a few proven people and growing into who she wants to be. Fiona's friends are hilarious. I loved Bea, who befriends Fiona right away, and all of her goofy brothers (who also want to befriend Bea, with differing results). There's even a bit of a love interest, which was just cute. It was interesting to read about all these really super-powered characters doing very normal things, from burrito eating to trying to pass math. It made for the perfect easy, fun read. And, yay, sequel!

Don't Think About This Too Hard

  • There were a couple things that felt a bit illogical about Fiona's escape. If I were trying to flee someone in Vegas, I'd probably go farther away than Arizona. And, for someone who'd been invisible her whole life, Fiona didn't seem to know how to work that to her advantage in trying to hide from her dad.

The Big Three:
Language: some moderate swearing throughout
Sex and Stuff: not really an issue; an invisible girl occasionally goes around naked, but she is invisible.
Violence: some fist fighting, choking, punching, and shooting
 

14 comments:

  1. So while this doesn't necessarily sound like my usual type of book, the fact that you gave it a 4.5 means I should probably look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting. I'm so happy I saw your blog on one of my favorite blogs, Books: A True Story. I love when bloggers give content ratings! So helpful. I have content ratings on my blog too.
    Clean Teen Fiction
    Clean Adult Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! I'll have to check out your blogs. I really like having a heads up on content in books.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! I really want to read this one! I tried to buy it the other day but the book store didn't have it. :( I hope I get my hands on it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the waiting list at the Provo Library is very short. Maybe only 1 or 2 people on it. :)

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this one! Don't forget to go link up on the Utah Books blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. Just stopping by after reading the profile on Books: a True Story, and I'm thinking I'll need to add you to my bloglist.

    Keep reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog! I just found out about yours, too. :)

      Delete
  6. I loved this one as well, and I'm so excited there is going to be a sequel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think it ends in a way that sets up a sequel perfectly. I'll definitely be reading it. :)

      Delete
  7. This one does sound good! I see a lot of people reading it lately!

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really is just as good as everyone says. :)

      Delete