Thursday, June 6, 2013

May Recap

In May we bought a house! And moved in! It's been very exciting.

It's a house!

Between all the supposed-to-be packing and unpacking, I managed to read five books:

Dead Silence by Kimberly Derting
The last book in The Body Finder series was the creepiest yet. A good mix of resolved and open plot points.

The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass
Lots of drama! and angst and back and forth and love triangle. It was exactly what I was in the mood for when I read it, so I absolutely loved it.

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
It was cute.

The Lucy Variations by Sara Zarr
You know I love me some Sara Zarr, but this one was a bit of a struggle for me. Very complicated characters. Review to come.

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
I doubt any of her books will be as great as Jellicoe Road, but this one was still really good. It's a great story of friends (and family), although I wasn't a big fan of the love interest.

I also got to see Stephanie Perkins and Margaret Stohl when they came to the Provo Library. And my computer won't load the pictures, but Suey wrote a lovely post about it.

For June, I've already read two books in a series which I will rave about soon. Hopefully I'll unpack some more, too.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed you read so much while packing up and moving! I also read DEAD SILENCE in May and I've got THE LUCY VARIATIONS on hold at the library. Zarr's books are kind of hit and miss for me, so I'm interested to see what this one's like. Thanks for the mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to see what you think of Lucy. Hopefully you'll enjoy it a little more than me. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't know how you managed to read all those books while moving house! Congrats on buying a new place btw! I absolutely loved Saving Francesca. I didn't mind the love interest so much. To me it was more about her relationships and finding where she fits into the world anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I totally agree about Saving Francesca. I thought it was a great book about the power/importance of friendships.

      Delete
  3. Yay for your house! My sister read Going Vintage too, and she liked it as well, so I'm definitely going to borrow it from her at some point.

    Saving Francesca is a good one. The first time I read it, I liked it fine, but I reread it recently and liked it a lot better that time around. I'm not a super huge fan Will either (and he didn't grow on me when he makes his cameo in Piper's Son), but I still enjoyed the way Marchetta writes their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Maybe I would like it even more as a reread? :) I think you'd like Going Vintage. It's some fun fluff. :)

      Delete