Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Movie Review: Les Mis

I saw Les Mis this weekend with the awesome Kami and Mr. Kami. (We missed you Jenni and Melissa!) It was really good. I was basically completely unfamiliar with the story or the music, which is always a fun way to go into a movie. Here were some of my thoughts:

  • I always have to adjust to "musical mode" when I watch one of these. It was hard to take Russell Crowe's threats seriously at first because he was singing them. But, I got over it pretty quickly. And then I thought....
  • The singing was all really good. I was especially impressed with Anne Hathaway (no wonder she's won all those awards) and Amanda Seyfried. She has a beautiful voice.
  • Long before current YA, the French were writing about love triangles and instalove. I thought the love triangle was handled well, though.
  • The story is really sad. I'd heard the characters had a Hunger Games-like mortality rate, but (SPOILERS) that poor little boy! I was not expecting that.
  • I was hoping for some redemption for Russell Crowe's character. I should have noticed all his singing on ledges as foreshadowing, but I didn't. (END SPOILERS)
  • Helena Bonham Carter just can't play a normal character, I guess. She did a really good job of making me hate that lady.
  • Overall I thought it was a good, thought-provoking story. I liked all the contrasts: poverty and wealth, "criminals" who were good people vs. "regular people" who were really awful.

8 comments:

  1. HBC is awesome at being mean, crazy, and someone easy to dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a good time. I'm sad I couldn't go, but it wasn't meant to be, lol.

    It's good to hear your thoughts because I'm very unfamiliar with the story and play as well. I've heard a few songs here and there and I watched the non-musical movie with Claire Danes when it came out. But, I don't remember much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Kami! ha ha ha ha! Awesome!

    It was so fun to go with you! I was blown away by Anne Hathaway!! I did not know she could sing like that! It was super sad when the little boy died :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda Siegfried's voice kind of irritated me, but I agree with everything else you said about the movie. It's amazing. Anne Hathaway especially impressed me. I mean, WOW! Glad you enjoyed the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more if I'd known nothing about it. As it was, I had a heard time with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you finally got to see it and enjoyed it! I kinda really dislike Anne Hathaway, but from what I've seen of her in other things, she does have a nice voice, which is the thing that makes me hope she won't drive me crazy when I see this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to see your take on it not being so familiar with the story! I'm so glad you liked it! Javert is one of my all time favorite characters (thought I'm not sure I liked Russel Crowe in the part) ... and yes, you SHOULD have known how he would end! Wow, that scene was a bit graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! Thanks for the giveaway! I found you on Book Blogs and I am now your newest follower! I hope you are having a great Sunday and that you'll stop by for a visit sometime when you get the chance. :)
    Leigh Ann
    MaMa's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete