Friday, January 11, 2013

Read This: Reached

Reached
by Ally Condie

The Short Story
Xander, Cassia, and Ky all team up with the Rising but find themselves fighting a plague instead of a war. Also, that whole love triangle sorts itself out. Just as beautifully written as the first two, and a great end to the series.
4.5/5

Come for the....
return to everything good from Matched. I don't think I realized how disappointed I was with Crossed until I started reading Reached and liked it so much. It really felt more in the style of the original book, and I found that I liked Cassia and Ky much better when they weren't so focused on their *luv* for each other. In Reached there's a lot of plot going on, and for the most part the three main characters have distinct roles to play. Cassia returns to being thoughtful and active. And I liked her growth, especially as she spreads her talents and creative abilities with others.

But, the book stealer for me really was Xander. I loved the chapters from his perspective, and I thought his storyline was compelling. He's very involved in the Rising and fighting the plague, despite the consequences it may have for him. And I'm just a sucker for a character who tries to do the right thing, whether it works out for them or not. Of course, I won't comment on how the love triangle works out, but I will say that I think it's one of the best resolved triangles I've read. No matter who you're rooting for, I think you'll be happy with the ending.

Don't Think About This Too Hard 
  • I was hoping for more character growth from Ky, but I think Crossed was supposed to be his big growth book. However you felt about him at the end of that one, Reached won't change your opinion.

The Big Three:
Language: a few swears, but only the d-word
Sex and Stuff: not an issue
Violence: more death from the plague than physical violence, but some is a bit gory

6 comments:

  1. I loved Xander as well. I think he really stole the scene. Ky was such a side character, and I didn't like him in the previous books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ky really was a side character in the last book, which is maybe why I liked it so much. :)

      Delete
  2. I still need to get to this one. I'm interested to see how it all ends. I'm glad to hear it's more like the first book in the series. Crossed just didn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The more I think about it, the less I liked Crossed. But I thought Reached was much better.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, maybe I'll have to read this series after all. After hearing the general disappointment about the second book, I decided to steer clear, but knowing that it ends well gives me hope that I'll be able to get into this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one really was disappointing, but I'd still recommend the series overall. The writing is so pretty.

      Delete