Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite 2012 Reads

The Broke and The Bookish hosts, and you can play along here!

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is favorite reads from 2012. 


The books everyone else liked, and I did too:

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. I can't say enough good things about it.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Very complex and real and not cliched. But sad.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. (released in 2011) Great characters and setting and writing.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I thought this was so clever in its retelling the Cinderella story.

Everneath by Brodi Ashton. Another great retelling; this one of the Persephone myth.

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. I loved the world and the adventure. And the cannibals.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. I don't think I'd ever reread this. But it really made me think, long after I'd finished it.


The slightly more obscure books I also really liked:


Back When You Were Easier to Love by Emily Wing Smith. (released in 2011) Interesting YA contemporary, especially if you're familiar with LDS culture.

The Reluctant Bachelorette by Rachael Anderson. One of my first adult contemporary reads. Very, very cute.

The Selection by Kiera Cass. I didn't get a chance to review this one, but I liked it so much more than I was expecting.

What did you read and love this year?

19 comments:

  1. Cinder and Under the Never Sky are awesome! I need to still read Fault and Everneath, I'm so behind!!

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-10-tuesday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great books. Don't you love those obscure books that just capture your heart? I think those are more special because you are not expecting it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I love how you separated them into the ones everyone loved and the ones that were under the radar. I love highlighting the ones that don't get as much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to read all of these except TFiOS, I quite liked it but it wasn't my favorite this year. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent list! I loved TFIOS. I WILL get to some Maggie Stiefvater in 2013. And I have EVERNEATH, CODE NAME VERACITY, and UNDER THE NEVER SKY high on my TBR list too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I might give The Raven Boys a try. I find I've been reading more and more YA books lately. Have you read the Uglies series? And how about Veronica Roth? I've heard good things about her. I'm gonna try and fit her books in my 2013 TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I am reading The Fault in Our Stars right now and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list! Quite a few are on my reading list - and I loved Cinder and The Scorpio Races too.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fault in Stars is on my list also and i'm not even a YA fan, I think that will past the test of time. Code Name has made a lot of lists also, i'm intrigued with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read Code Name Verity and The Selection! Here’s my TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/top-books/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I recently got Raven Boys and haven't made it to it yet, but I will definitely be reading it sometime soon. I also really want to read The Fault in Our Stars. Thansk for stopping by!

    Vyki @ On The Shelf
    Check out my Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so behind! I've only read Everneath on your list. I must get to some of these others. If only there was an 8th day dedicated solely to reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I borrowed Cinder from my library recently, so I really need to read it soon! I bought The Scorpio Races around the time it released, and then never got around to reading it, maybe I should move it up in my list to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cinder is AWESOME. Love that book. And I'm so excited for the sequel! January can't come fast enough. Great list!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree about Cinder and The Scorpio Races- such good reads. But I think Code Name Verity is something I will reread- I know it is emotionally devastating, but I feel like there are so many "hints" at what is to come that I missed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like that a few of our book club books made it on your list! I think I've only read half of the ones you mentioned, though. Reading through everyone's favorites-of-the-year lists, I think it's funny that people totally adore some books that I'm not even tempted to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list, I also quite enjoyed or am really looking forward to a lot of these :D I'm also a new follower! Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've only read The Selection, but there's a few books on your list that are on my to-read list. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete