Monday, December 10, 2012

Read This: The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys
by Maggie Stiefvater

The Short Story
The less you know, the better. But, psychics, sleeping-king hunting prep school boys, and trees that speak Latin. Just read the book.
My new favorite read of 2012.
5/5

Come for the....
everything. I loved everything about this book (except for the maybe dozen f-words). The writing is good, the cover is beautiful, the mystery is unique and interesting, and now I want the sequel right away. If I had to pick a favorite thing, it would be the characters. For some reason I thought the main character would be Blue, the only non-psychic in a long line of supernatural ladies. But she's not, at least not in this first book. The four raven boys steal the show, and they were pretty great. There's Gansey, who is rich and occasionally oblivious, but also obsessed with finding an old Welsh king he thinks is buried in Virginia. And Adam, who is both humble and very proud. Ronan, who is harsh and possibly crazy, but also the comic relief. And Noah, who I thought was the least characterized, until I realized I just wasn't paying very close attention.

I loved all their adventures, especially once Blue teams up with them in a quest to find the king. Blue's "aunts" are also a lot of fun, and I thought it was interesting how the four main adult ladies parallel the four boys in a lot of ways. There's sort of two different five man bands going on. The setting is also almost its own character. Who wouldn't want to visit a place where the woods have all four seasons, all at once? Or fish that appear because you think they should? There's so much magic and mystery and adventure in the book. You should just go read it. Like, for real.

Don't Think About This Too Hard 

  • I got nothing.

  • The Big Three:
    Language: there is a lot of swearing, including the f-word
    Sex and Stuff: not an issue
    Violence: fist fighting, some child abuse, and death (though not descriptive)

    12 comments:

    1. Isn't it the most awesome? I loved it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes! It's so nice to have other people who loved it too. :)

        Delete
    2. Oooooo with this review, I'm thinking I better get it asap.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope you do! It's my new "convert the world" book. :)

        Delete
    3. Wow! I have such reservations about this one but I think I'll pick it up sooner now. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's really nothing like the Shiver series, if that was part of your reservations. After those books I thought she would only write a certain type of story, but I was very wrong. It's just a fun, unique book.

        Delete
    4. I still don't have the slightest clue what this book is about! It sounds like it's going to be the kind of read that really surprises me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sorry! I didn't like the synopsis from goodreads because I felt like it made the story sound like something it isn't. It's really not a love story at all. More of an adventure with the potential for a love triangle.

        Delete
    5. This book was so wonderful. I think what I liked best about it was that it didn't turn out to be a YA paranomal romance like I was expecting it to be. And I love those Raven Boys!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Exactly! Even after I saw the author at Barnes & Noble, I still thought it was going to be a romance. I'm sure that will be more of the plot later, but I would call this an adventure story more than anything.

        Delete
    6. I cannot wait to read this book. I started it but had to return it to the library before I could finish it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope you'll get to finish! It really is a crazy good book. :)

        Delete