Monday, December 3, 2012

November Reading Recap

image source
November was a great month for books. I read:

  • My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece by Annabelle Pitcher. The November book club pick. Told from the POV of a 10 year old boy whose sister died and mom left him. Cute but sad. 3/5
  • Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson. This was another YA cancer book that was a little too long and slow for me. DNF
  • Love Story by Jennifer Echols. My first Jennifer Echols. Very much a kissing, dramarama book. Perfect if that's what you're in the mood for. 4/5
  • Feedback by Robison Wells. Intense and suspenseful, but a bit let down in the end.
  • The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. My new favorite book of 2012. Review to come this week.

I even got to a couple books I already own

Garden Plot by Kristen McKendry. My in-laws got me this book for my birthday. In September. Of 2011. It's an LDS fiction, murder mystery. Which is sort of a unique combination. It was cute. 3/5

Blood Red Road by Moira Young. I'm about 115 pages into this. And you guys, it is slow going. The dialect makes Hagrid look like a scholar, and the little sister annoys me. They just met up with a portly guy and a She-Man, and are threatening cage fighting. (you can't make stuff like this up).
I'll stick with it because everyone seems to love this book. But, I'm thinking it's not the book for me.


Favorites for the month were The Raven Boys, Love Story, and Mara Dyer.
What did you enjoy reading in November?

6 comments:

  1. I'm still glad you ended up liking Love Story. I felt like my credibility was a bit on the line with that one. Also, wasn't Raven Boys so great? I didn't know what to expect going in, but it ended up being a lot better than I thought. With Blood Red Road, I felt EXACTLY like you did at that point. But then I finally got used to the dialect and got into the story more and ended up really liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel the same way when I recommend a book. But I thought it was a fun read. I'm going to look into more of her stuff.
      And that's good to know about Blood Red Road. I'm at the cage fighting part now, but skipping over the details of the fights (gross). I think the book is getting more interesting. And I more feel bad for the little sister than annoyed by her now.

      Delete
  2. I still need to read Raven Boys. I've read all of MS's books so I don't know why I'm hesitating.

    I heard that Blood Red Road is better on audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I may have to switch to the audio, because it's been like 3 weeks and I still haven't gotten very far.

      Delete
  3. Oh noooo, I lovedddd Second Chance Summer and Blood Red Road is one of my favourites. It's honestly so crazy how people can have different reactions to the same book. You would think after 2+ years of blogging and way more years of reading blogs that I would be used to it. =b

    Also loved The Raven Boys; can't wait to see your review. =)

    I actually wasn't a fan of Love Story, but I do LOVE Going Too Far and Such A Rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how everyone has different books that connect with them. I think The Fault in Our Stars has really just ruined other cancer books for me. I might give Second Chance Summer another try later on. :)

      Delete