Monday, December 17, 2012

(More) On My Mind

Somehow I haven't posted in a week, and all the things have been floating through my head.  Here they are, in no particular order.
  • I went to the Orem Library's Holiday Author Extravaganza last weekend, where I got to see a lot of authors and learned to spell the word "extravaganza." I sat with Suey and her family. You should all get to know her, because she is awesome and will let you sit with her at events. And she'll also point you in the direction of the bathroom, should the need arise. I took pictures, but my camera ate them. The only thing you would have learned from them is that Lisa Mangum is quite tall. Like, I'm guessing around 6'. She's also really nice, but you can't exactly judge that sort of thing from a picture. To my knowledge, I did not say anything awkward to any of the authors I talked to. Progress.
  •  I finished Cinder over the weekend. It was really fun. It also marks four books that I've finished while I'm supposed to be reading Blood Red Road.
  • I keep thinking about the Connecticut school shooting, and it is so sad. I just don't believe regular people should have assault weapons. It doesn't strike me as the type of the thing the framers of the Constitution had in mind when they came up with the Second Amendment.
  • Also, this post by Robison Wells brings up a lot of great points about mental illness. And makes me realize I know nothing about it.
  • On a happier note, I'm excited for tomorrow's Top Ten Tuesday, because it's all about my favorite books of the year. And it was a good reading year.

Happy Holidays from my family! Here are my sons, being festive/cute.


10 comments:

  1. Yeah for progress on awkward author comments! I usually end up making at least one at every event. The awkwardness level varies, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've had some really embarrassing ones before. :)

      Delete
  2. I love author events, but inevitably I'm either super quite or will say something awkward. Maybe that is why I'm better over the internet than in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same thing about myself. I always wonder if people will meet me in real life and think I'm not much like the blog version of me.

      Delete
  3. Your boys are so cute! And hang in there with Blood Red Road. It took me a while to get into it, but the cage fighting and killer worms won me over :) I'm glad you liked Cinder though. I've heard that the next book in the series is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!I really liked Cinder a lot, so that's good to know about the sequel.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sad I didn't get to go to the extravaganza. Having only one car sucks, lol. I'm glad you had fun and that you got to sit with Suey. And, yay for not saying anything awkward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad you couldn't make it! Next time. :)

      Delete
  5. Your sons are adorable! You've done heaps of reading this week. I haven't finished reading a book in the longest time. I didnt finish Blood Red Road or Cinder :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lan! I've actually been trying to read Blood Red Road for the last 3 or so weeks. :( Hearing that other people didn't love it makes me feel better.

      Delete