Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: Recap & Year End Survey

It's the last day of 2012! And it's been a good year for me and my family. I didn't blog as much, but I had a baby. So I'll cut myself some slack.

This year I managed to hit my Goodreads goal (60 books!) And I think my biggest blogging highlight was Utah Book Month. That really got me back into blogging, and it was so fun.

I also wanted to play along with some of Jamie's (from Perpetual Page Turner) year end questions. You can link up here.

This is Jamie's awesome graphic


1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. This will be a popular answer.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Don't hate me, but The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. Just, no.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?  
Everneath by Brodi Ashton. I was expecting this book to be very meh, but I liked it a lot.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. I don't usually read historical fiction, or things that have torture. I won't read it again, but it made an impact.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012? 
The Evolution of Mara Dyer. Holy molies, that book.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year: 
Um yeah, The Raven Boys. (it's the March book club pick)

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
Good: Xander from Reached. I'd read a whole series about him.
Bad: Saba from Blood Red Road. She was exhausting.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Reached by Ally Condie. It's so good. I liked it even though I didn't like Crossed.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Made me think when I first read it, but has really impacted me since one of my college roommates was diagnosed with stage IV cancer a few months ago.
 
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 
Good: a Marcus Zusak book (I Am the Messenger. Loved it until the end, when I wanted to chuck it)
Not: The Summer Series by Jenny Han.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? (pretty sure on these)
Shortest: My Ridiculous Romantic Obsessions by Becca Wilhite (181 pages)
Longest: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin (544 pages)

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Friendship: the four raven boys from The Raven Boys
Romantic: Jack and Nikki from Everneath or Puck and Sean Kendrick from The Scorpio Races

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously:
 The Raven Boys. Also Reached.

20. Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Best: Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Worst: In Honor by Jessi Kirby

Happy New Year, everyone!

11 comments:

  1. What?! You didn't like the end of I Am The Messenger? I loved it! My brother in law didn't liker it either. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's one of those endings that people either love or hate. But I liked the rest, so I'm going to try to read another of his books this year.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on reaching your Goodreads goal! I hit mine too. I loved Utah Book Month too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you too! :) I'm especially happy I got to know you & your blog during Utah Book Month.

      Delete
  3. Your post reminds me that I need to get back to the Matched series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people were let down by the second one. But the third really is a lot better. :)

      Delete
  4. Aww. Thanks for the shout out for Utah Book Month. It was a major highlight for me this year too, since I got to meet so many more book lovers!

    THE RAVEN BOYS is high on my list for 2013. And CODE NAME VERITY definitely made an impact on me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys did a great job! And I hope you like Raven Boys.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like I'll need to read The Raven Boys! :D I'm reading I am the Messenger right now. I really like it, but my mom said something about not liking the ending too...makes me nervous. I'm so sorry to hear about your college roommate. :( Not one that we had together, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what you'll think of the ending. :) And, thanks about my friend. I lived with her a couple years before I lived with you guys.

      Delete