Thursday, November 15, 2012

Read This: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer
by Michelle Hodkin

**Spoilers for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer** 
The Short Story
After seeing someone she shouldn't have at the end of the first book, Mara Dyer finds herself being treated for a variety of psychological disorders. Her parents put her in a treatment program by day and let her live at home at night. Only home is not exactly the safe place her parents were hoping for, and as the story goes on it's hard to tell just who it is Mara needs to be protected from.
So, so crazy and confusing and good.
5/5

Come for the....
unreliable narrator! It's probably my most favorite device in writing. I love a book that keeps me guessing about what is really going on, and Michelle Hodkin pulled it off again in the Mara Dyer sequel. After the twist at the end of the first book, I didn't expect everyone to believe Mara. But I loved that I quickly got to a point where I didn't know whether to believe her, either. And I absolutely loved second guessing myself and the characters as I read. I honestly wondered if Jude was truly around or not. I'm still not sure if the whole scene with the dead cat really happened. And Noah wasn't super forthright either. Which just made the entire book crazy fun.

And also creepy. There are flashbacks that are so bizarre, with freaky dolls and then a tiger. The new characters from Mara's treatment program add a whole new layer of weird, especially Phoebe who seems to hate Mara for no apparent reason. I also liked the reappearance of her friend Jamie from the first book. As the story went on I saw some of the twists coming. But I was definitely caught off guard by the end. And I liked the cliffhanger for this book even better than the original's.

Don't Think About This Too Hard 

  • My biggest complaint really was the language. I would say the f-word appeared between 8-10 times, possibly more. I could have done without that.

  • The Big Three:
    Language: the swearing isn't constant, but it is plentiful, in all it's varieties
    Sex and Stuff: a fair amount of kissing
    Violence: a tiger attack (for real), slit wrists, a kidnapping

    8 comments:

    1. Wow. 5/5? I've been planning on reading this since book club, but now I'm even more curious!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Maybe it was the mood I was in, but I seriously couldn't put the book down. I loved it.

        Delete
    2. Replies
      1. Thanks! It was a very fast 500 pages. :)

        Delete
    3. I so want to read this. I've owned it for a year now, but I just don't seem to have the time to read. Someday.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I totally understand that. I didn't love the first one quite as much. Maybe a 3 star book for me. But I knew more of what to expect with the second so I really liked it.

        Delete
    4. I have to admit I skimmed your review a bit. I haven't read the first book yet and I have no idea what I'm waiting for but, yeah.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lol, I skim all the time. :) The first book wasn't as good for me, but I really liked this one for some reason. I think it totally fit the mood I was in.

        Delete