Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Big November Thankful Plan

this word still makes me think of Hunger Games
It's November. Holy moly! Wasn't it just May and I had just had a baby?

Anyway, I always want to do something to show gratitude in November, since it's the month of (US) Thanksgiving and all. This year I want to show gratitude for the things I have by actually reading the books I already own. It's not a ton, but I have several that I've just never picked up. I guess when I don't have the three week deadline that comes with library books I get lazy about reading.

I have some good books, too. I think I'll start with Blood Red Road, which Carrie gave me over a year ago. (for shame!)

How do you show gratitude? Anybody else slow to read books they own?

10 comments:

  1. I have a whole shelf full of books and I'd say half, if not more, are book I haven't read. I just bought them because of recommendations or because of author signings, or they were given to me as gifts. I'll read them ... someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, that's how I am too. Sort of. I always think I'll eventually get to my books. :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea. I love it!!!!

    Perhaps I shall do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I have a stack of books people have given me that I haven't touched. I'm trying to cut back on the library books, so I can dig into those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all my books are from other people, too. :) I love the library but now it's like a 40 minute drive round trip, so cutting down would be good for me too.

      Delete
  4. I ended up really enjoying Blood Red Road. It took me some time to get past the writing style, but after that, I got sucked in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole "written in dialect" thing is what's been holding me up. I don't know of anyone who disliked the book, though. Dialect usually really bothers me, though. Guess we'll see. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm from Spain and here Thanksgiven doesn't exist. I think is a great idea to have a day for remind that kind of things, but I'm also sure people can do it everyday (if they wanted).
    About the books, I'm always trying to read the ones I already own, but it's impossible!! The library, the book shops... Too much temptations!

    PD: I'm new here in your blog, sorry for my English, but I'm trying to learn how to write properly :)
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great plan. I started doing this just because I needed to quit buying books and not reading the ones I had. It seems I haven't made much of a dent, though. :(

    ReplyDelete