Friday, November 9, 2012

A Question on Etiquette

source

 So, lately I've been wondering about blogger etiquette for attending author lectures/book signings. Mostly because I never buy the book. (I'm a freak of blogger nature, I know. Why I'm not a book buyer is a post for another time.)

Anyway, even without making purchases, I still like to go to signings. I love to hear different authors talk about their process, or ideas, or really anything. Most authors are good story tellers, so they're very entertaining when they come speak. And I've kind of viewed their visits like those Pampered Chef/Mary Kay/candles/etc. parties that I get invited to often. It's pretty rare I buy anything at those, either. I still show up to be supportive, though, because who wants to throw one of those parties and have no one come?

But at the same time, the whole point of those little parties, or author visits, is to get people to buy stuff. And I've been wondering lately if maybe I shouldn't go to signings if I'm not going to buy anything.

What do you guys think? Is it bad manners to go to an author event and then not buy the book? Is it different if it's held at a library vs. a book store?

10 comments:

  1. I'm honestly not sure. I don't go to the Pampered Chef/Mary Kay/etc. parties because I know I'm not going to buy anything and I don't want to get the host's expectations up.

    As far as books are concerned, I think it's nice for the authors to know that people are going to buy their books, but not everyone is a book buyer. Lots of people use libraries; that's what they're for. But, should signings be just for those buying? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't love those parties. And I feel conflicted about the book signings, too. Maybe I'll keep going to things at the library, but not anything hosted by a bookstore.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you. I don't buy physical books (I do buy eBooks and Audible audios from time to time) but I still like to go.
    Is that what they ideally want, no. BUT we're bloggers. They love us. We're free publicity. SO we get a pass. :)

    I say keep doing what you do and don't feel bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Good advice for a lot of things, not just blogging. :)

      Delete
  3. I say the same as Juju. Don't feel obligated to buy books. You're there to support them but you don't HAVE to buy a book. I don't buy the book unless I want to. I've gone to several book events and not bought a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how I used to feel, but some things have made me wonder. Maybe next time I see you (if I'm still thinking about this) I'll explain how the whole thing came up.

      Delete
  4. Well, I think the authors (and editors) organize the events in order to publicize their books, so it's normal that people buy the book to have it signed. But I also think that the authors want the readers to know about the books, their ideas, their researches... and you don't have to go there to buy the book: you can just listen to an author you like. That's my opinion; I don't think it is a bad manners :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like the blog about events that I go to, so I always thought that was a fair exchange. I don't buy anything, but I try to give some blog time to authors that I really like.

      Delete
  5. I'll join the general consensus of the comment section and say I don't think you have to feel obligated to buy anything. Yes, they like the extra sales, but they also like the publicity, which they get whether you buy anything or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am even worse than you, because I generally bring my own previously-purchased books to signings. There are a few exceptions, when I manage to buy them from the hosting bookstore. I know this is considered terrible, but until I have more money, I am afraid if I want to buy books at all, it has to be the cheap option. So, I figure if you are going at all, that's great.

    ReplyDelete