Friday, September 7, 2012

Read This: Everneath

Everneath
by Brodi Ashton

The Short Story
After Nikki makes a deal to go to the Everneath and disappears from everyone in her life, she has six months to come back and try to set everything right. Then she'll have to go back to the Everneath for good. Nikki tries to say goodbye, but other people have other plans for her.
A new favorite.
5/5

Come for the....
unexpected amazingness. For some reason, I'd decided this book would probably be about a 3-star, "meh" kind of read for me. So I put it off. Then Utah Book Month came around, and I decided to give it a chance. And I loved it. I got completely caught up in Nikki's quest to try to set things right with her family and friends, even though she didn't really know how to. I liked the themes of redemption (if it's possible to make up for stupid choices) and forgiveness (even when you can't really make it up to anyone). And I enjoyed the contrast between selfishness and unselfishness, with Cole on one end, Jack on the other, and Nikki somewhere in the middle.

The themes are good, and so is the plot. There's mystery and some adventure and very interesting use of Greek and Egyptian (and maybe others'?) myths. There was one point where I thought I had something figured out and then was completely wrong. I love it when a book can throw me like that. I thought I smelled a love triangle, but that seems unlikely with how the book ended. I like Cole far better as a quasi-bad guy than someone with a romantic interest in Nikki. And now I'm very excited for the sequel. 

Don't Think About This Too Hard

  • I would have liked a little more background, like how Cole became an Everliving. I didn't seem like he went through what Nikki did. But I'm guessing there will be more backstory in the next couple books.

The Big Three:
Language: occasional bad words
Sex and Stuff: not exactly, but the whole feeding business had a bit of a sexual undertone
Violence: people getting their emotions/souls sucked out; some pushing & shoving

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy your review helped persuade me to read it. :)

      Delete
  2. Woooo, I've heard nothing but good things about this book and I'd like to say great review since you're like the only one to get up into detail about it, now THIS makes me want to read it. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you like it, if you get the chance to read it.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you liked it. There's nothing like having low expectations for a book and being blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! So much better than the other way around. :)

      Delete
  4. I had this one pegged as a probable three star as well. Now I think I'd better read it and see if I like it as much as you do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, for some reason I really thought the book would be just ok. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Hopefully you'll like it too.

      Delete