Tuesday, September 4, 2012

August/Utah Book Month recap

I had so much fun participating in Utah Book Month in August. It was a nice way of trying to get back into blogging. And I learned about a ton of books by Utah authors that I now want to read.

And now, a recap:

I got to interview Sara Zarr! And per usual, I said something awkward to an author I like! (who knew those characters weren't supposed to be hard to like?)

I got to interview Lorren from The Story Girl.

I found out almost everyone likes fry sauce but me.

I was interviewed by the lovely Kami from Kami's Library Thoughts


And I read some great Utah books, like -
Surrender by Elana Johnson
This book was so so good. It put everything from Possession in a different context. And I still can't tell who's good and who's bad.
Read This

My Ridiculous Romantic Obsessions by Becca Wilhite
Very cute new adult romance. Read This

Back When You Were Easier to Love by Emily Wing Smith
My favorite read of the whole month. Read This

Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr
Very engrossing plot but a character I didn't quite connect with. Mixed


I read a bunch of books not by Utah authors, too.
Body & Soul (The Ghost & The Goth #3) by Stacey Kade
The whole series was cuter and funnier than I expected. Read This

Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society #2) by Ally Carter
I wanted it to be a romance, but instead it's a very smart caper. Read This

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
DNF. Funny, but too much swearing for my taste.

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison
It took me a while to get into, and I kept feeling like I wasn't getting the humor. But it's a cute story. Mixed

In Honor by Jessi Kirby
This just didn't work for me. I felt like I never got to know Honor, and didn't care to know Rusty. Skip This

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
Kind of 80's-riffic, but a very fun read. It did what I hoped it would and I enjoyed it from start to finish. Read This

6 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure to interview, and I'm so glad we got to meet! I'm going to read a Sara Zarr book before the end of the year!! That is my new goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fun goal. :) I just finished a Carol Lynch Williams book and really liked it. Totally wouldn't have read it if you hadn't interviewed her.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had fun with the month's festivities. You did check your email right? Because, hey! You won! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still sad you didn't LOVE Once Was Lost but you liked MRRO and don't like fry sauce so it's all good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I can stay in your good graces. :) I really wanted to love Once Was Lost. Oh well.

      Delete