Friday, July 27, 2012

Read This: My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door
by Huntley Fitzpatrick

The Short Story
Samantha has always been intrigued by the Garretts, the bursting at the seams family next door. Her mother, on the other hand, feels like "those" kind of people are beneath them. One day Jase Garrett stops by, and everything changes for Sam. It's a cute romance that really is excellent for much of the book. But the last third or so is not. But read it anyway because the first part is so good.
4/5

Come for the....
family. Reading about the Garretts and their 8 kids made me happy. The author does a great job of capturing the contented chaos that comes with a lot of people. There are maybe more names than separate personalities, but I thought that added to the sense that you could get lost and find a place in the mass of people. I loved how easily Samantha fit in and made herself a Garrett. I loved the little brother and how he said embarrassing truths that only little kids can get away with. I loved that the Garretts started out being totally foreign to Sam and she just had to go with a lot of things. (like the mom regularly nursing the youngest kid in front of everyone)

Of course, the relationship between Samantha and Jase is the bulk of the book. They're fairly mature and have a lot of cute and funny moments. And some pretty mature ones. For the most part I thought the book was honest and realistic, especially in dealing with more adult topics in their relationship. Although his parents were a bit unrealistically permissive... I don't think the first response to knowing your 17 year old's girlfriend had spent the night would be to ask her to babysit. But maybe that's just me.

Don't Think About This Too Hard
  • I wanted to love everything about this book, but then the big "plot twist of drama" came along. And it basically led the book astray. My biggest problem was that it affected almost all the characters, but basically none of them got any resolution. Just the main two. Which made it feel like the twist only served to create relationship drama. I felt like everyone else was left hanging, and that didn't sit well with me. The beginning of the book was too good for that.
  • To go with that, there were too many little subplots and characters that didn't serve a purpose or take the story anywhere. The best friend and her plot line did nothing. The best friend's brother, Tim, was so much drama in the beginning, for no apparent reason. All of that should have been cut. Sam's sister seemed to have gotten lost from whatever book she actually belonged in. I kept wanting to tell the author to get back on track.

The Big Three:
Language: Tim swears like a sailor, with many f-words
Sex and Stuff: um, yes. Some detailed kissy (and more than) scenes
Violence: not really an issue

11 comments:

  1. I like the way you set up the review. I think I got all the main points covered. I'm curious about this one because I think big families are always quite fascinating!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love stories about big families, too. When I was little I always wished I had one. I'd bet you'll really enjoy that aspect of the book.

      Delete
  2. Well, I probably wouldn't have picked this up anyway, but it is nice to know why besides that "it's not my type" feeling. I hate it when there are F bombs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It was over the top for parts of the book. Even the other characters were commenting on how much the one kid swore.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book, but I could have done entirely without the best friend storyline. I felt like it wasn't really resolved, and served no purpose (aside from to annoy me!)

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't feeling Nan. But the parts of the book that I liked, I really, really liked. I would have given the beginning of the book six stars out of five. :)

      Delete
  4. I really want to read this one! Although it does seem like a lot of people had trouble with the twist at the end. I'll see, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I've only seen reviews where people loved it, so I thought I was the weirdo. That ending just didn't work for me. Hopefully it won't bother you!

      Delete
  5. See, this is what I love about book blogs. I read all the raving reviews and then come upon one that's honest. Thanks! I'm excited to read this one but I now know it's not going to be perfect and am lowering my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a stinker on this one because I've mostly seen rave reviews. And I get why everyone loves it, because it starts out so good. But I don't think the ending lives up to the rest of the book. Maybe it's just me...

      Delete
  6. Oh I loved the Garretts... there's just something so awesome about a family like that. Being an only child I have no idea what that experience is like, so I find it really fun to read about.

    I get where you're coming from on the plot twist. I do wish it had been resolved in a different way, or possibly not have happened at all... it just seemed strange in a way, like it almost did fit with the story beforehand. Still, I loved the rest of the book and the characters enough that it somehow didn't wreck it for me. I actually really loved it. =)

    ReplyDelete