Friday, July 6, 2012

June Mini-Reviews

I had a better reading month in June! 2 new books and 5 old books rereads.

Destined (Wings #4) by Aprilynne Pike
I thought this was a great ending to a total "guilty pleasure" series. It wraps up all the plot points from the first three and includes a couple of cool new things. The story ended exactly how I expected it to, but it got there in a way I wouldn't have guessed. Even though most of the story takes place in Avalon (and is a little heavy on the fighting), I really liked that David and Chelsea played big roles. The epilogue was more bitter than sweet for me, but I thought it was gutsy for the author to go that route.
Read This 4/5




The Last Echo (Body Finder #3) by Kimberly Derting
The Body Finder books are usually such guilty pleasures for me, too. A little creepy, a little swoony, a little silly. This one definitely has the creepy (best bad guy of the series), but I was kind of disappointed. The focus is on Violet and her paranormally talented crime solving group, instead of on Violet's regular life. I think if I had known to expect that it would be about new characters (and a whole lot of Rafe) I would have liked it more. Some of her new friends have some cool abilities, so that was interesting. But after three books, you have to suspend your disbelief that Violet's parents would let her get into such dangerous situations.
Mixed 3/5


On to the rereads....


The Ruby Oliver series by E. Lockhart
I've never properly reviewed these on the blog. I love these books because they're funny and angsty and over the top, but end more realistically than a lot of YA. Also, Ruby gets panic attacks and actually goes to a therapist. (So many more YA characters should be in therapy!) I love that Ruby is boy crazy and girl power and a lot of conflicting things all at once. But each book she comes more into her own and learns to solve her own problems. Also, her romantic relationships end up realistic, not perfect.
Read These 5/5



Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
(because Anna and the French Kiss was all checked out of the library)
Cricket was just as adorkable, and Lola was a little less frustrating the second time around. (It's hard for me to be sympathetic to Lola when she was so obviously causing her own problems) And the dads are still great.
Read This 4/5







For July I hope to post a little more frequently, play along with Jenni's Pride and Prejudice read along and get ready for Utah Author Month in August. And I'll be reading Howl's Moving Castle for book club. I know nothing about that book, so I hope it's good!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're going to join in! :) I can't wait to post my first set of questions tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad I missed last week. My internet went out for several days. So I'll start tomorrow for sure.

      Delete
  2. Hey Kathy,
    I think you should read A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck. It reminded me a bit of Grandma and it's a quick, fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read the rest of the Ruby Oliver books. I adored the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it do it! I thought each book was better than the one before it, so hopefully you'll like them.

      Delete
  4. I definitely need to reread Ruby Oliver and Lola. And I'm looking forward to hear what you think of Howl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get Howl in time for book club. :)

      Delete
  5. The Last Echo was a bit of a mix for me as well. Still really good, but I hated that she went for the obvious love triangle aspect, and I thought it definitely needed more Violet/Jay. And seriously, how many more murderers can Violet attract around her?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, where was Jay? :) I hope he makes a comeback in future books because I just don't think Rafe is that interesting.

      Delete
  6. It's a spoiler but can you soooo tell me if she chooses David or the hot fairy guy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will email you. You should read it! :)

      Delete