Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Take on Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

The first thing I realized was that I couldn't remember who many of the people were. And then I just kept being introduced to more. Trying to keep all the characters straight was a lot like this:

But I did remember Tris, and I liked her a lot better this time around. I thought she was kind of a jerk in Divergent, and she admits that in Insurgent. She's pretty angsty and feeling guilty about everything that happened at the end of Divergent, so she spends a lot of the book attempting to uphold the family honor, much like this:
Unfortunately she makes a lot of stupid decisions and ends up more like this:
people even make fun of her nose

Four is not exactly nice in this one either. (He has an especially low point involving his dad) But I liked him better as well. He and Tris have a fair amount of relationship drama, involving her telling lies and him being controlling. But it felt realistic for two characters who trusted themselves more than anyone else. I couldn't find a good clip for Four, so here's the Insurgent book trailer:

One of the best parts of the book was that I couldn't tell who to trust. You get to see all the different factions, and none of them are exactly good. You even get to see the factionless! My favorite new characters was the lady who leads them. In my mind, she looked like this:

But who is she really herding?

The characters (I could remember) were the best part of the book for me, as the plot alternates between kissing, fighting, relationship drama, and a bunch of this:
I think the ending was supposed to have this effect:

But it was more like this:


Overall, Insurgent was less violent, more angsty, but more enjoyable than Divergent.
Read this.
4.5/5

7 comments:

  1. In case you were curious, the clips are from:
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Mulan
    Pinocchio
    The Simpsons
    Hot Shots (my husband came up with this one)
    and my favorite comedian, Brian Regan (he's talking about the instructions on a pack of pop tarts in those clips)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea for a review! I loved Insurgent!! Brian Regan is one of my favorites too!! I liked to say "Take Luck!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too!
      I love Brian Regan. I got to see him when he came to Salt Lake maybe 6 years ago. I laughed so hard.

      Delete
  3. Well, at least you made your review of this book fun. I keep reading reviews of it, even though I hated the first book and have now intention of reading this one, because I want to be nice. Then I have nothing nice to say so I don't know why I bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like to try different things for my reviews. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't...
      But I love that you comment, even when it's a book you don't care about. That's so nice of you! Comments totally make my day.

      Delete
  4. This was very fun! I totally felt the same way about all those characters - I couldn't keep track of them or where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review . . . and it reflected so many of my own thoughts, so that just makes you brilliant too :) Glad to follow you. I want more of this.

    ReplyDelete