Monday, June 25, 2012

Comfort Books

It's not sweatpants, but you get the idea
Lately I haven't been very adventurous in my reading. Maybe it's because I don't have as much time for it as I used to, or maybe I'm in a bit of a slump. But all I've wanted is to reread some of my favorite comfort books. . . The ones I can pick up at any point and hop right in to the story. Or finish, and then turn around and start reading again.

I know rereading is kind of like wearing sweatpants - it's comfortable and familiar, but not the sort of thing you should do all the time. Even so, here are the comfort books I'm hoping to hunt down today:




The Ruby Oliver series by E. Lockhart 
Ruby and her debacles always make me laugh. And this is the only series I can think of where I liked more than one of the love interests. Even better, all four books are checked in at the library. 


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Another funny, somewhat neurotic MC. Plus I love the whole fish out of water aspect of the book.
Sweethearts by Sara Zarr
This book isn't funny, or even happy. But I love it. It always leaves me feeling a little unsettled or unfinished, and I think that's why I keep coming back to it. (Also, person who has it checked out from the library, it was due on the 20th. Today is the 25th, just FYI)

Apparently contemporary is my genre of comfort.

How about you? Do you have comfort books that you keep coming back to?

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try some of these. I don't really have comfort books, but I have a couple of guilty pleasure books that I read when I'm in a reading rut. Things like Princess for Hire by Lindsey Leavitt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good guilty pleasure book! I haven't read Princess for Hire but it's on my TBR.

      Delete
  2. SO cute! SO SO SO CUTE! Love it.
    And I feel ya. You want something comfy. Totally understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Your baby is so cute! That sweater is adorable. I totally have comfort books. You better hurry to the library. I might have to go get the second Ruby Oliver book before you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you as I checked out the second Ruby Oliver book! (they have more than one copy checked in, so we both win) :)

      Delete
  4. I've just finished reading a book by Sara Zarr so Sweethearts looks really interesting. Aren't comfort books great? I have certain series that I go back to again and again as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm curious which series you like to reread! Sara Zarr has some great books. I've like all the ones I've read but Sweethearts is by far my favorite.

      Delete
  5. I'm in the comfort read mood too currently, except I have some books checked out from the library that I need to get to first (and none of them is Sweethearts, I swear!). I think my two biggest comfort reads are books by Robin McKinley and by Sarah Addison Allen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look into those two! The more comfort books I can find, the better. :)

      Delete