Friday, June 8, 2012

April and May Recap

I managed to tackle four books total in April and May, and was *shocked* by which was my favorite. Because I was definitely not expecting it.

In April I read:
The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks by e. lockhart
I loved her Ruby Oliver series, so my expectations were pretty high. There are definitely funny parts, and I loved how Frankie was able to commandeer the group and mastermind all the pranks. But I thought she was a little immature, and I didn't really relate to her crusade against boys only groups. Maybe I just never experienced anything like that?
3/5 Mixed for me.




The Savage Grace by Bree Despain
This is the last book in The Dark Divine trilogy. It definitely is a fitting end to the story, and all the main plot points are wrapped up. There's a little more focus on fighting than I cared for, and occasionally I felt like the story was taking itself too seriously. But there were also a couple parts that made me laugh and I liked that not every single thing ended happily.
3.5/5 Mixed for me.


In May, this little guy joined our family

so these two took up most of my time.



But I did manage to read a couple more books:

Fever by Lauren DeStefano
It had all the world-building issues I had with Wither. There are so many weird things going on in this book, like a prostitution circus. I was hoping there would be more insight into the girls who end up in the "scarlet districts" or why the guys don't try to do anything about their friends/sisters/etc. being kidnapped. But, still no. The characterization is also a little weaker this time around.
On the plus side, though, the writing is amazing. It's so bleak and really makes you feel what the characters are feeling. And I love how well the cover represents different parts of the story.
3/5 Mixed for me.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
I wasn't sure if I'd read this, because Divergent didn't really do it for me. But I'm so glad I did, because I unexpectedly *loved* it. Seriously. It was so good. I liked the characters a lot better this time around - they all got much more complex. They're a bit angsty, but far more interesting. Even some of the "bad" things were enjoyable. (Like the continuity errors. My favorite was Tris' mysteriously disappearing & reappearing gun near the end of the book).  
4.5/5 Read This





For June I think I'll try to read three books. (Ohhh!) I hope to finish Destined (the final book in the Wings series), The Last Echo, and The Serpent's Shadow. Lots of series coming to an end this summer.

8 comments:

  1. Your new little baby is sooo cute! I'm impressed you still manage to get any reading done and even more impressed that you kept on with the Fever series and Divergent series. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess I decided I would read any of the sequels that I could get easily from the library. I thought the second Divergent was better, but the second Wither was about the same. I don't know that you'd care for either of them, though.

      Delete
  2. OMG he is sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute.

    You go girl for getting books read! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to stop by your blog and see if there are any pictures of your little girl. I bet she's so big by now!

      Delete
  3. Cute cute baby! I hope all is going well! Way to keep reading too. I know it's a bit crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suey! It's nice to have a good book to look forward to when I'm up in the middle of the night. :)

      Delete
  4. Your baby is too cute! I haven't read Insurgent yet, but I really should. I forgot that it finally came out until I saw your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like everybody reviewed Insurgent early or right when it came out, so I kind of forgot about it, too. The library has a lot of copies, so that's how I got to read it.
      Anyway, I'm interested to see what you think of it.

      Delete