Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Review: The Hunger But Mainly Death Games

The Hunger But Mainly Death Games
by "Bratniss Everclean"

The Short Story
It's a Hunger Games parody.
Some funny parts - even very funny - but also a lot of potty humor and what. moments. It's kind of like a 1990's boy movie version of The Hunger Games.
2.5/5

What I liked:
I enjoy a good parody, especially of something I either love enough to see its faults, or dislike enough that all I can see are its faults. (This guy's rejected Twilight screenplays were hilarious, at least to me) And since I love The Hunger Games series, I was most interested to see how they would poke fun at some of my favorite characters and scenes: Katniss taking Prim's place, Rue, the cave, the mutts. And for the most part, I thought the book did a good job of parodying them. Katniss is a bit dumber and blood-thirsty-er, so I liked that less. But what they did with Gale, and especially Peeta, was very funny. "Pita" honestly stole the show, and I think his character was done the best. How Katniss managed to get herself into the Games, as well as the cave scenes, were probably the funniest parts of the book for me. There were also some clever pop culture references.

But...
  • I felt like the book would get into a nice, funny groove and then lose itself. Too often it would devolve into either gross/gore/potty humor, or things that were a little too random to be funny. For example, the trackerjackers were buzzerguzzlers (drink-seeking bees). That's funny. But they attacked Scar (Cato) in the bum, and then there was a long-running grossness that went with it. That wasn't funny. It was just gross.  Or Rue was actually out to kill Katniss (again, funny). But Thresh was randomly a bear. (what) I felt like I could never completely settle into the book because it kept going off track in that way. (of course, ymmv. My husband thought some of those things were funny)
  • Some of the pop culture references didn't work because they were too obscure for me. I'd guess most people have heard of Snooki, or The Night Circus, or Team Edward/Jacob. But there were a few things that left me scratching my head after I'd finished. I'm sure Dylancobra was a play on something; I'm just not sure what. Maybe others were from Battle Royale?
  • There were enough typos and editing issues that it got a little distracting.

The Big Three:
Language: Occasional strong profanity, including one f with dashes
Sex and Stuff: not an issue
Violence: regular violence, some gore and other grossness

Just So You Know
I received a copy of The Hunger But Mainly Death Games via the authors . It is now available. You can read Chapter 1 here.

10 comments:

  1. I've never read a parody before and this one does sound a lot of fun but I'm not a big fan of potty humour.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I would have enjoyed this a lot more if the potty humor had been taken out.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the potty humor would just annoy me but parodies are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are probably parts of this that would make you laugh. But there really are a lot of dumb fart jokes (and stuff like that)

      Delete
  3. I gave this one a shot - I usually love parody's... But I couldn't get into this one! (And oh how I love the Rejected Twilight Screenplay!!)

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have cheated a little bit when I first got the book and started it in the middle of the Games. I thought section was a lot stronger than the very beginning. I can totally understand not being able to get into it.

      Delete
  4. I love parodies! And I'll read anything THG. Potty humour doesn't really bother me that much so I'm curious about what this one is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a good fit for you, then. It's a fast read, too. Not even 200 pages. I put a link to their first chapter in the review, if you're interested)

      Delete
  5. I love a good parody myself, but it has to be very clever. They lose me the minute they devolve into potty humor. Thanks for the great review!

    -Kate the Book Buff
    Recent Post: Betcha Didn't Know: Harry Potter Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I love parodies, too. It's too bad when they add in stuff that takes away from the funny.

      Delete