Friday, March 23, 2012

Now That I've Seen The Hunger Games

A couple quick thoughts:

  • Overall, I liked it. I was a little disappointed here and there, but overall it was good. It's mostly faithful to the book, but it's also not hard to find things that are different.
  • The actors were all great. Even people I had reservations about (cough * Josh Hutcherson* cough) did a good job. If I had to pick anyone out for being slightly less than I had hoped it'd be President Snow. But mostly because I kept remembering when he played the dad in Pride and Prejudice. And I liked that guy.
  •  
    Mr. Bennet or Mr. President?
  • All the scenes they added were fantastic. The tech aspects, the behind-the-scenes, all of it.  
  • I really liked the look of the Capitol & the Capitol people.
BUT
  • Holy cow, if you get motion sick at all, take something before you go see the movie. Before Prim's name was even drawn I had my eyes closed and felt nauseous from all the shaky camera work. If I hadn't remembered that I had some Dramamine in my purse, I honestly think I would have had to leave. (I have some serious issues with motion sickness, though. Obviously, because who normally keeps Dramamine in their purse?)
  • I wish there had been a little more time for some things. Just a few extra seconds to look at the other tribute's parade costumes, or see mud-Peeta. I thought they were cool, but if you blinked, you completely missed it.
  • Without spoiling, I'll just say I was disappointed in the way the Katniss-Peeta relationship played out. I don't think they devoted enough time to it.

Have you seen it? What did you think?

19 comments:

  1. Well, at least you're pointing out some things that you didn't like. It seems like everyone is still feeling so euphoric that they're just raving. I know it couldn't have been THAT perfect. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shaky camera made me feel gross enough that I was in a bit of a bad mood watching it. Seems like I liked it a little less than most, so maybe it was just me?

      Delete
  2. I loved Donald Sutherland as President Snow. I thought he was fantastic. But, I'm able to separate actors from their different parts, so that's probably why it didn't bother.

    I agree about the filming at the beginning. I wanted that to end real quick. Thankfully, it did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good ability to have! I'm afraid Daniel Radcliffe will be Harry Potter to me, even when he's like 50. :) (plus I don't watch very many movies, so that probably doesn't help)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the warnings on the shaky camera and Peeta/Katniss thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm in the minority on the Peeta/Katniss relationship, but it seems like the camera was hard on a lot of people.

      Delete
  4. My biggest hesitation is the shaky camera... I HATE that style, and I was bummed to hear there is so much of it in hte movie...

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish I could say it was only for part of the movie, but I noticed it throughout. I heard it was supposed to show how things felt for Katniss, but I kept thinking we were watching from a (very drunken) Haymitch's perspective. :)

      Delete
  5. My younger sister went to see it last night and she said the same thing about the camera motions. Said it almost made her sick. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel as I get lots of migraines from that kind of shaky camera work. If it weren't THG I might even decide not to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it hadn't been THG, I think I honestly would have left. :( I've heard from people who took something before the movie & they said it wasn't as bad for them. So maybe that would help?

      Delete
  6. Yeah the shaky camera thing-there was way too much of it. I felt like I had to go cross eyed so as not to get dizzy. Also, I thought the part where they announce there's only one winner didn't go as well in the movie as it did in my head. Doesn't Katniss pull the bow and arrow on Peeta and he just drops his weapon? I wanted to see that. I thought President Snow looked too old fashioned compared to the rest of the Capitol folks. I could see your comparison to the dad in Pride and Prejudice- his look, the way he sounded, and his hanging out in a rose garden much of the movie. I loved Jennifer Lawrence though. She is Katniss. I wish Josh Hutcherson was taller, but I think he did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish little JHutch were taller, too. But otherwise I was happy with how he did. I think they just needed more of him.

      Delete
  7. I agree with everything you say! Well, except for Donald Sutherland, because I think of him from many other movies where he played the creepiest guy. Here are my thoughts:
    http://misclisa.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-impression-of-hunger-games-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Donald Sutherland had so many roles as a bad guy. I've only ever seen him in this & P&P, so I guess that's where my mental image came from? I'll have to check out your blog. :)

      Delete
  8. I'll try to scramble together a post about the movie today, but I can say that overall I really loved it. Sure there were things that weren't like in the book but hey it's a movie adaptation :)

    My biggest pet peeves would probably be that they've removed Madge, the sequence with the mutts and Cinna was a bit to colorless in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw the mutts differently in my head, too. They didn't scare me in the movie, but I was happy not to watch them eat that kid alive for several minutes.
      I'm glad you liked the rest of it. :)

      Delete
    2. They scared me, or I was so surprised when they first attacked I almost jumped in my seat ;)

      Delete
  9. The more I think about it, the more I agree that they needed to develop that Katniss/Peeta thing more. And I too was worried about how Josh H. would do as Peeta... and I think he did just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the warning about the motion sickness. I would have been miserable the whole movie.

    ReplyDelete