Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Hunger Games Reread-Along: Chapters 25-27

Time to get ready for the victory tour
The end of The Hunger Games. At least, you think it's over, but it's not. Then it sort of is, except it's not. And then the book ends, but it's still not really over.

Were you surprised by the change in the rule change, or did you see that coming?
I didn't expect it at all. In fact, I briefly thought Peeta was trying to kill Katniss. Wouldn't that have been kind of awesome for Peeta's character? *spoilers* But I guess that did happen eventually. *spoilers*

Did you expect there would be consequences for Kantiss and Peeta's stunt with the berries? 
For some reason, again, I didn't. I just thought it was a good ending to the book. Maybe a little convenient, but I wanted both of them to win. After Rusty and I finished Hunger Games, we both mentioned how we had no idea what the next book would be about. Of course, now it seems obvious....

Katniss has no problem telling Peeta off at other points in the book, but in the end doesn't give any of her (understandable) reasons for her act in the Games. Why do you think that is?
Maybe because she was confronted with thinking about his feelings for first time, and recognizing that she'd actually hurt him. I think maybe that explains why she was so upset about him losing his leg - the consequences or effects of the Games will last longer than she had given thought to. (Because who has time to think about all that when you're trying not to die?) I thought it was interesting that Katniss wanted to believe she could be the same girl who hunts/Hobs like before the Games, but also recognized that at least some things had been permanently changed.

This better (not) be in the movie. (any scenes you would especially like/dislike seeing in the film)
I really hope they tone down Cato being eaten; that was the most gruesome part of the book for me. Peeta's enthusiastic affection during their "reunion" gave me the jibblies. (Was anybody else relieved when Haymitch put an end to all the kissing?) I wonder if that will even make it into the movie.

Anything else that stuck out to you in the chapters?
I liked Caesar's interview comment that the "real enjoyment [of the Games] was watching [Katniss] fall for [Peeta]" I wonder if that's accurate for readers of the book, or if it was intended to describe people who read the series. So much of the pre-Mockingjay hype was about which boy Katniss would pick, and a lot of the post-Mockingjay complaint was that the ending (love) story was too rushed.
Who knows if that line was meant as anything, but it seemed funny to me this time around.

Thanks for reading along with me! Next Wednesday is The Hunger Games movie plans post, and my "how to throw a Hunger Games party with stuff you probably already have!" ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I was so annoyed with both Peeta and Katniss in that last scene on the train home. Peeta for getting angry at Katniss when he was the one who engineered the whole fake relationship and Katniss because she let him walk away without explaining. I can't wait for the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Peeta definitely had a jerky moment there. I liked how it got handled in the second book, though.

      Delete