Friday, March 2, 2012

February Recap

February wasn't a great reading month for me, but I did finish my taxes! Since I don't review every book I read, I thought this would be a nice way to give some attention to the books that won't get a full review.

In February I read:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
I thought the beginning was amazing, and the ending was interesting enough that I'll definitely give the sequel a chance. (It just got a name - The Evolution of Mara Dyer). But the middle switched the book's focus onto things that I didn't think were nearly as interesting. Mixed for me.

Past Perfect by Leila Sales
I'm posting my review for this one on Monday, so I'll keep my thoughts short. It reminded me in some ways of Jellicoe Road, only I didn't get into it as much. It was cute, and there was nothing wrong with it, but I didn't love it.








Sign Language by Amy Ackley
I think I gave this about 75 pages before I put it down. It's got a middle grade feel to it, which isn't a bad thing. But it's another cancer book, and I just wasn't in the mood. I think I'll give it another chance in a few months because it had potential. DNF, yet.







The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.
I can't say enough good about this. I'm currently reading it to my husband, just so I have an excuse to reread it. I actually kind of want to own this book - maybe even pay money for it - which is something I basically never say. Read This







Wherever You Go by Heather Davis
This had moments of being really interesting, but also some wonky parts. It's told from three points of view, but they each get their own tense. Reading in the second person ("You walk to the store. You buy some doritos.") is just awkward. I didn't feel like the characters were completely believable, either, from the periodically Italian speaking grandpa, to the token "helpless younger sibling" who just adds responsibility to the main character. (I'm pretty sure you can make your own sandwich by the time you're 12.) Mixed for me.




Has anybody else noticed helpless younger siblings/family members popping up a lot in books lately?


March bodes a little better for reading and blogging.
  • I have a couple review books I'll be tackling (Never Eighteen, another cancer book; and The Hunger but Mainly Death Games, a Hunger Games parody).
  • I'll finish The Hunger Games rereadalong, and host Hunger Games week the week of the movie's release.
  • Then at the end of March I'll be participating in Bloggiesta! Seriously, go check the link out. I'm really excited to take some time to spruce up the blog.

8 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin for ages now, I've read a few reviews that mirror your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That makes me feel a little better. It seemed like all the reviews I saw were from people who loved it. Maybe that got my hopes up too high.

      Delete
  2. Well, at least you had more than one book you enjoyed! I wasn't so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks! For all the reading you do, you'd think there'd be at least a couple that were good. Here's hoping for a better March. :)

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to get to The Scorpio Races! I hope it doesn't take me forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a broken record in how much I've been recommending it lately. I hope you have time to get to it (and that it lives up to all the hype for you)

      Delete
  4. I'm excited to read your review for Past Perfect, because based on your quick overview, it sounds a lot like what I thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go read your review, too. We were pretty similar. Which just means that I will now hunt down all the books you recommend. :)

      Delete