Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Hunger Games Reread-Along: Chapters 10-12

Ooh, the beginning of the Games!

Katniss spends a lot of time angry with Peeta in these chapters. Why do you think he bothers her more than the other tributes?

I think Katniss has such a big problem with Peeta because her first instinct would be to trust him, and she can't. A couple times it felt like she was looking for any kind of excuse to get mad at him. (Like thinking he would turn into the kind of tribute that eats other tributes. Or saying she would look forward to seeing that he had died in the Games.) She doesn't have that kind of animosity toward anyone else, and my guess is it's because she doesn't actually dislike him but feels like she has to.  

What do you think is the scariest thing Katniss faces in this part of the Games?

Besides seeing the first kid cough up blood on her and die? (I can't even imagine that. I hope that's not in the movie.) For me, it's how weak and vulnerable she was when she didn't have any water. Personally, I'm a mess when I'm dehydrated (dizzy, headaches, needing to lay down.) I would last like three seconds in the Games.

These chapters begin the section where all the chapters end in cliffhangers. Did you like that? Did you have a hard time finding a stopping place?


I really like the cliffhangers. It's funny because I always felt like the whole "try to find water" part was really long, but it's not. Ending each chapter like that makes the whole story feel like it's moving quickly, so I never felt bored, or wanted the plot to move on to something else.  Maybe after three books I occasionally liked it less, but overall I was ok with it.

Picture from thehob.org
This better (not) be in the movie. (any scenes you would especially like/dislike seeing in the film)

I would love to see Katniss knock Peeta down after the interviews, or see them disagree on the roof. "Thanks for the tip, Sweetheart" is one of my favorite lines in the book. But (based on the trailers) it looks like they're having a much less angry conversation.
I think the build up to the actual Games is going to look amazing in the movie, though. That's such an intense part of the book.

Anything else that stuck out to you in the chapters?

I like the way Peeta's character develops here, especially that he isn't always sweet and nice and taking all the guff Katniss gives him. I still wonder if he actually killed the girl who started a fire the first night in the arena, or if she just died slowly. (which are pretty awful thoughts...)

No comments:

Post a Comment