Friday, February 3, 2012

The Hunger Games Read-Along, Chapters 7-9

You guys, it's the interview chapters. Probably my favorite part of the first section of the book.

Why do you think Katniss and Peeta both downplay their strengths?
For Peeta, I think he honestly believes he has no chance, no matter what he knows how to do. For Katniss, I think she has an incredible lack of self-awareness (and also thinks she can't win)

Katniss' strategy is more to keep herself distant from everyone, while Peeta tries to a more friendly approach. Which do you think is a better strategy for the Games?
I would say Katniss', just because then you don't have to worry about anyone trying to double cross you. I don't think being friendly would keep people from trying to hurt you in the end. But if you wanted to be really underhanded, you could try to act friendly and then turn on people. If you could fool enough of them it'd probably be pretty effective. (At least, according to various reality shows.)

There are a few hints leading up to Peeta's big interview reveal, but did you see it coming? Was anything in the book spoiled for you?
I had heard about the "teams" going into the series (I first read it after Catching Fire had come out), so I knew that Peeta was supposed to be a love interest. So I wasn't surprised that he liked her. But I did like how that came out. Thankfully that was the only thing I knew going into the books, so the rest of it was all new/crazy/unputdownable.

This better (not) be in the movie. (any scenes you would especially like/dislike seeing in the film)
I'm excited to see the interviews. I like the snippets from the newest trailer.


Anything else that stuck out to you in the chapters?
This is probably the most whiny Katniss gets, until Mockingjay. It's understandable, but maybe not as fun to read about. I also really liked the parts with Cinna.

Thoughts? Do you like the new trailer? You can find next week's questions in the Hunger Games read-along tab.

2 comments:

  1. I love the trailer! It gave me chills. I cannot wait to see the movie because I love the book so much. From the trailer the movie seems like it will do the book justice! I didn't know much about the Hunger Games before I started reading- so I was always trying to figure out who was being honest and who to trust. I agree with you that I would take Katniss's approach and be by myself. Loved your post!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of my favorite things to figure out in books is who is trustworthy and who isn't. I love a little treachery in any story. :)

      Delete