Friday, January 6, 2012

Read This: Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince
by Cassandra Clare

The Short Story
The second book in the Infernal Devices trilogy (Clockwork Angel is the first). Not as violent or sweary as Clare's other series. I really enjoyed reading it, but had a few problems as I thought about it after the fact.
4/5

Come for the....
twists and turns. At an early point in the book, I felt like I had a lot of it figured out. I've read some books from Cassandra Clare's TMI series, and thought I was familiar with some of her preferred plot lines and issues: a story told in multiple points of view, an angsty male lead who annoys me, behavior or ideas that would rock the boat socially. In fact, at one point I thought that the multiple points of view gave too much away. But all my preconceived ideas kept me from noticing what was really going on in the story, and it was a lot of fun to be surprised! I honestly love a book that catches me off guard.

One (non-spoilery) example of that was with how the characters were portrayed. I was not a fan of Will in Clockwork Angel. He came across as the sort of jerky, angsty character who had "issues" that somehow were supposed to make him likeable. I'm sick of that type of character in YA. But I did a 180 reading the story, and now like Will much more. Unfortunately I also went into the book with a high opinion of another character and came out with a completely different one. He ended the story much like Peeta in the first Hunger Games book - nice and good intentioned but very clueless. That was a little disappointing.

Stay for the
back stories (which may remind you a little of Harry Potter 6), the relative lack of violence, the final book in the series, Clockwork Princess, out sometime at the end of the year.

Don't Think About This Too Hard
  • For a book with Jem on the cover, he didn't feel as big a part of the story as I would have expected. I don't think there are any parts from his point of view. Also, some of his actions seemed out of character (to me) near the end of the story.
  • Cassandra Clare just has a wordy style. I don't think this book needs to be the nearly 500 pages that it is, but I think that's just her way.

The Big Three:
Language: I don't remember this being much of an issue
Sex and Stuff: a few bits of very descriptive kissing
Violence: a scene or two with violence, but no gore

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I recently received this one as an audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate how straightforward your reviews are. I am looking forward to this book a lot but I feel like in general i just see explosions of love for sequels, ad then I am disappointed. Knowing this is an exciting book with a few flaws lets me know what I am getting into and always makes it more enjoyable for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I thought this was Cassie's best book yet! I totally agree with you about Will! However, it makes it such that I have never been so conflicted over a love triangle in my life... Ah well. I loved this book and I think the 3rd and final book will be even better! Again, GREAT review!

    Karis @YA Litwit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I wasn't a HUGE fan of TMI series but they were OK, and everyone was insisting I try this series. So, I have the first one, now I just have to squeeze it in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete