Thursday, December 29, 2011

Best of 2011 - Dystopias

I started a bunch of dystopias this year, and surprisingly didn't finish quite a few of them. (I'm looking at you, Lockdown and Pure) And there were a few that were just ok for me. One will actually show up in part of tomorrow's post, The Best of The Worst.

Anyway, on to the goods. My top 5 6 YA dystopian reads were:

5. Variant by Robison Wells
Slow first half, but non-stop second half.


4. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
I've never read anything like this. (But it is very, very violent)


3. The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
The second book was the best, but the ending makes for good discussion. (Also very violent)


2. Possession by Elana Johnson
I really enjoyed reading this book, and the ending made me love it.


1.5 Delirium by Lauren Oliver
I was afraid it would be a retread of other dystopian books, but holy moley it was just really good.

 1. Matched by Ally Condie
Even if Crossed left me disappointed, it doesn't take away from how incredibly well-written Matched was.

ETA: D'oh! How could I have forgotten Delirium? It's now in it's rightful spot at 1.5

6 comments:

  1. I agree! All wonderful books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read 2 of those, Matched and the Maze Runner, and I want to read Variants and Possessed, so good to hear they were good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Suey! I'll have to stop by your posts and get some more good book ideas. We seem to like a lot of similar things.

    Lisa, I hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh! I need to get to The Knife of Never Letting Go! Well, actually I need to get to a lot of these! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MAN I can't wait to read The Knife of Never Letting Go. I've heard so much good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, I hope you like it! It took me a little bit to get into the style of the book, but then I couldn't put it down. It was seriously crazy.

    Lorren, I hope you like it too! It's pretty sweary, though, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete