Friday, December 30, 2011

Best of 2011 - Best of the Rest

Not everything I read is contemporary or dystopia (or even YA). Here were some of my "out of my genre" favorites of 2011:

6. The Wings series by Aprilynne Pike (fantasy-ish?)
I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I like these because they are so, so out of my normal genre. But they're fun, fast reads.

5. The Body Finder books by Kimberly Derting (paranormal-ish?)
It's The Sixth Sense meets Twilight. And really good. And really creepy. And cute boys.

4. The Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld (steampunk, historical fictiony)
 Who knew steampunk was so awesome?  Also, kick-butt, girl disguised as a boy main character.


3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (fiction set in the 1960's)
I know racism is incredibly complex and this isn't a perfect discussion of the issue, but it was a great story with unique characters.

2. Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (paranormal)
If you're so over the paranormal/vampires/werewolves trend in YA, this is the book for you. It's almost paranormal satire, and completely hilarious.

1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lani Taylor (urban fantasy?)
I thought this book was going to go all Mortal Instruments on me, but it definitely did not. I love a book that I think I have figured out and then am completely wrong about. (for older teens)


And now, for the Read This Razzies, or The Best of the Worst of 2011
5. Graceling by Kristen Cashore
Didn't like the violence, or the message. Also, high fantasy is just not my thing.

4. The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Creepster love interest; everyone lies to the main character and she's ok with it.

3. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Weird science; illogical use of polygamy

2. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Privileged lady spends a lot of time whining. Also traveling. I couldn't finish this one, so maybe it's not fair to include it with books I did finish.

1. Fire by Kristen Cashore
I should have quit after Graceling, as the setting and her style are not for me. I thought every character in this story (except for maybe the daughter) was unlikeable. Also, nobody wants to hear about drama with girly bodily function issues. Also violent. And sex everywhere.

8 comments:

  1. I got the first of the Wings books free on Kindle, and I haven't heard much at all about them, so I am happy to see some good feedback. I am also hoping to read Paranormalcy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who reads a book, doesn't like it, and yet continues to read the next book. ;) I'm also glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Wither!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read the Body Finder books for awhile- I guess I'll make them a top priority now!

    Sadly, I really loved Graceling! I agree that sometimes, an author's voice or style just isn't for everyone.

    Here's to another amazing year of reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read The Help and Daughter of Smoke and Bone for a while. I asked for both for Christmas- but didn't get them. I plan to go out and get them soon! I read Eat, Pray, Love- two years ago. I liked the first and last section- but the middle section was a bit slow and I didn't enjoy it as much. I can understand why you stopped. I love to travel- so I did find parts of the book interesting simply because of the traveling.

    Happy reading in 2012!
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved the help. so good. i read the first leviathan and just couldn't get into it. i also read eat, pray, love eons ago and found it interesting. i need more books to read. i'm trying to read 75-100 books this year. i should probably start that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorren, the Wings books are just silly fun, especially when you can get them for free! The library has them, too. (that's how I've read them)

    Jenny, there are a bunch of us who had trouble with Wither. Probably not as many as liked it, but still. Most people who didn't like it, really didn't like it.

    You too Lisa! I'm normally not big on paranormal but I thought The Body Finder books were a lot of fun. And I know I'm in the minority with Graceling...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, I hope you like both books! They were two of my most favorite. And good to know about Eat, Pray, Love. I never got to the last section. Maybe it would have tied it all together for me.

    Rachel, I should have told you I wasn't sure if you'd like the Leviathan books. I'll have to be on the lookout for books I think you'd enjoy. That's a lot of books to read in a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. whatevs Kathy, i like reading new things. sometimes they don't turn out. nothing new there. i still like getting recommends from you though!

    ReplyDelete