Monday, October 17, 2011

When Lots of Authors Came to Provo

I feel so lucky to have such a great library close to my house, especially when they bring lots of fun authors to come speak and sign books. Last week the Provo Library hosted Becca Fitzpatrick (Hush, Hush books), Michelle Hodgkin (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer), Elana Johnson (Possession), and Moira Young (Blood Red Road).




They answered a bunch of questions, and I should have taken notes, but didn't. So here's what I remember:
  • They all borrow names from people they know in real life, or movies that they liked (Becca Fitzpatrick & Michelle Hodgkin both took names from movies)
  • The characters aren't really based on themselves, although Becca Fitzpatrick did want to give a character the curly hair she struggled with in her teen years. (you guys, she has such pretty hair)
  • Some of them use outlines for writing and some don't. Elana Johnson suggested trying out both styles to see what works best for you.
  • Everyone but Moira Young listens to music either while they write, or to inspire their writing. Moira said she wears earplugs when she writes, then told this story about where she does all her writing. (if you can't understand it, she goes to a beauty shop and sits in a little room to do her writing. It was really funny, but I don't know that the video captures that) 

    video

      After the lecture and some book signings, Michelle, Elana and Moira stayed after and met with us book bloggers. And let me tell you, they are the nicest ladies. And so funny. I'm always impressed with the fact that authors are just regular people. It was funny (to me) how they were all worried about how they looked in the pictures. Not in a vain way - in the normal, am I making a face in this picture, kind of way. But they all looked fabulous. Especially you, Michelle! (who may or may not have screened the pictures I took of her and told me which to keep)


      I can't wait to read the rest of their books. Possession was definitely one of my favorite reads of 2011. And I've heard such great things about Blood Red Road.

      4 comments:

      1. Awesome recap! You remember things that I didn't. Isn't that funny? ;)

        ReplyDelete
      2. It sounds and looks like a wonderful event. I wonder when they'll all come to Norway LOL.

        Blood Red Road is awesome! I loved it :)

        ReplyDelete
      3. That's so awesome that you got to go! I really need to pay more attention to what the library has going on--I miss so many cool events!

        ReplyDelete