Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Endings That Left Me With My Mouth Hanging Open

I love this week's Top Ten Tuesday topic. Because who doesn't love (to hate) a wild, unexpected ending. These are in no particular order.

1. Variant by Robison Wells, which comes out today. I actually tweeted him to see if my galley had all the chapters (it had a lot fewer pages than the hardcover was supposed to). Nope, I had all 29.

2. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare. I don't even like this series, but I read this one. And I won't read the rest of them, but I'll have to look on wikipedia to see what happens, because what kind of ending was that?

3. Possession by Elana Johnson. I know there's going to be a companion book, but that ending was so wild & perfect I hope she doesn't change it.

4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. *major spoilers* I knew it would be Dumbledor's book to go, but totally didn't expect who/how.

5. Fablehaven 4 by Brandon Mull. This is a cute middle grade series. The second-to-last book has a huge cliffhanger, which usually doesn't happen with middle grade books.

6. Delirium by Lauren Oliver. That ending had everything, except for a sense of resolution. Pandemonium can't come out soon enough.

7. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I actually liked this a lot more than the TMI books. I know I'm not the only one who's curious what was going on at the end.

8. The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Basically, I didn't expect anything that happened in this one.

9. The Scorch Trials by James Dasher. I knew to expect the unexpected, after The Maze Runner. But somehow I spent the last several pages saying "what?" over & over again.

10. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I figured some things out before Katniss, but that last line gets me every. single. time.

13 comments:

  1. Oooo why can't I remember the last line of CF? Sounds like I need to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go find the last line of catching fire since I couldn't remember what it was. good thing I've unpacked my books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so surprised by Dumbledore in Half Blood Prince. Now it feels inevitable, but I didn't expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on my blog, I definitely had to check out your list as well! I haven't managed to read "Possession" yet but I really want to. I should make that happen sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for Pandemonium either! It feels like so long since I read Delirium and I so want to know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Argh! This is making me feel behind again. I still haven't read The Maze Runner books or Delirium though both are on my shelf. Maybe by the time I get to them I wont have to wait for sequels. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. City of Fallen Angels made my list too.

    My Top Ten: http://hopefaithbooks.blogspot.com/2011/10/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-book-endings.html

    -Brittani

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I agree with every. single. one. of these! Especially Possession; that ending was so perfectly crazy that I almost wish there weren't a second book. I'm glad for the other book (I love happy endings), but it was so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree with you on Catching Fire. And, good point on Half-Blood Prince. I didn't put it on my list because I remember knowing Dumbledore would die. But, after reading your post, I realize I had no idea that it would be Snape who killed him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a lot of readers have issues with the Hunger Games series, but I loved it! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg yes to Catching Fire. Mockingjay, however, killed me in a totally different way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally forgot about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I was speechless after that ending. I think my mouth hung open for the last 50 pages or so

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep forgetting I need to read The Maze Runner, probably because I have read mixed reviews. We have a few books in common, for sure Catching Fire should be on everyone's list! :)

    ReplyDelete